Hand planes: do you leave the blade in position or retract it when finished?

questionmarke

As someone new to hand planes (I just refurbished my first plane: a Stanley 1930's low angle block plane), I have been wondering ... is it generally considered proper usage to put a plane's blade into finely-tuned position and then leave it set that way all the time (minus sharpening or re-adjusting it) or does one retract the blade each time when finished using it for the day?

Great. Noted. I work on the job site more than in a shop, so would need to take hand planes with me from time to time. Thus, I will need to protect the blades in some manner, whether that be retracting them or putting the planes in their own bags or containers, or whatever. But I was just curious what "proper" protocol was if one weren't running around town with tools in tow... Thanks for the replies.

• 4 weeks later...

I have always store them on their side - I was told many years ago " a 22inch plane placed with heal or toe raised would if left over time would 'sag' " - while I don't believe this would sag enough to put the sole out of true, I have never run the risk.

I was told many years ago " a 22inch plane placed with heal or toe raised would if left over time would 'sag' " - while I don't believe this would sag enough to put the sole out of true, I have never run the risk.

Ha! I was just thinking about how I'd never read that before! It sounds rediculous to me. I have read that straight edges should be hung from one end or laid down fully supported (on a flat surface!).

If I retracted my plane irons after each use, I'd spend more time fiddling with the irons than I would actually using the planes. I don't do anything special, I just lay them sole down in my plane cabinet. I'm not too worried about wooden cabinet shelves doing any damage to my A2 irons. I used to find that I'd spend 20 minutes flattening a board, banging my jack or jointer down the board, and then once I was putting it away I would suddenly treat it like a delicate flower. Funny in retrospect.