T-9

Ben H

Been using t-9 for years, but just recently actually read the can. I had a bit of surface rust on my favorite Starrett square, and after I took care of the rust I hit it with a shot of T-9, and let it sit.....3 days later it's still sticky.

Has anyone had any luck with actually using T-9 as the can reads to spray it on and let it dry? How long did it take to fully dry, or does it? I'm sure I could buff the square with a rag and wax it, but I'm curious now and wanna wait it out.

I always had to buff it off, too. Gets so gummy otherwise. I thought it was just me and this lovely hot environment (Arizona), but I guess not! Usually buff it off saw decks with a fine ScotchBrite attached to my disc sander on slow. A separate felt pad buffs the wax.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a similar experience with T9 also. I typically spray on, wait a few then wipe. Since it's original intent was for protecting airplane parts it's stickiness is a good thing for them but annoying for us.

I was first introduced to the product when I was a hard core mountain bike rider. My bike shop guy wouldn't use anything else. It stays around long enough to make bike chains and brake parts easier to clean from mud and debris while also keeping them out. But it builds up that thick coat as you've experienced.

I haven't tried topcoat yet, but I've heard good things.