sorta breaking the rules

nateswoodworks

I had the tote break on my beloved Bedrock plane and before I even got a chance to look at trying to re-glue it I bought an absolutely gorgeous tiger maple bowl blank. I was able to get the parts for making 2 sets of knobs and totes out of about half the turning blank that I got for $12 at Rockler so I think I am doing pretty good. I normally oil my tool handles and buff on several coats of wax but for this I want to give the maple that aged hue with aniline dye and then the oil and wax. My question is should I lay down a shellac barrier after the BLO since it will be handled so much? Or do you have any other suggestions? Figured maple is my weakness and the aged golden color is my favorite, that and it is jus something you don't see as much on totes and knobs. I bought 2 turning blanks with the hopes that as time goes on I will do all my planes and chisels, do one here and there in between projects.