New in New York

ChrisH-HF

Hey all -

I am a new member to WoodTalk. I have learned an amazing amount from watching Marc's videos, reading the various forms (which I have not even made a scratch in the surface)!

I am hobbyist who wants to advance my skills to the next level (what ever that may be). I consider myself to be an advanced novice. I enjoy building furniture, no particular style. In the past I have made several wall mirrors, a couple of Japanese influenced lamps, a small tapered leg table, a night stand, a book case and of course the requisite number of boxes. I am currently starting a clock for my inlaws for Christmas, hopefully starting to mill the pieces this weekend or the beginning of next week.

My shop is about 250 SF and is my basement. I'm lucky enough to have a high floor to joist space and dry basement. My tools are certainly not top of the line, but adequate for my skill level. I am starting to really appreciate the use of the hand tools for detail and clean-up work - especially hand planes. I just purchased a #4 smoothing plane and am working on tuning it, sharpening the blade and learning to use it - time will tell!

I look forward to participating in the forums, continuing to learn from the forums and especially from Marc!

• 2 months later...