Woodworking shop video

davidrn

Very nice looking shop you have , I like the walls . What's on the floor of your woodworking area ? What part of the country are you in also ? Welcome to the forum ,look forward to seeing more of the shop .

I live in North Central Massachusetts, so we have cold winters. I was fortunate in the late winter of 2010 to find a deal on Craigs List. A contractor was restoring an antique house, and the prior owner had used 2" PolyIso over the whole ceiling, and walls. The contractor had the 4' square pieces all in a pile on the second floor. He didn't want to pay anyone to get rid of them, so I came and used a trailer, and removed them, enough for the whole job, plus some left over to pay me back for the trailer rental. I used 12' 2x4 PT boards on the flat, and cut the PolyIso into 20.5" pieces to fit in between. Using Advantech with the PolyIOso means there is no deflection when you walk on the floor. I decided against a plastic barrier, the Advantech can get wet, I did leave the edges with small openings to air out if there is any wetness in the spring.

Very nice. Did you build the barn?

Thanks, I built the barn 6 tears ago, a little help along the ways from my sons. The side walls are aprox 12' and total height is 24'. It is over engineered all along the way. I used 4 thickness of PT 2x6's, I used .60 PT and then stagered the joints above ground with KD lumber. There is shiplap pine vertical outside/horizontal inside. I did go modern inside with wooden I beams for the second floor, and used a doubled 40' glue lam for the ridge. The rafters are hung, no collar ties, so it is clear span. The space that first year seemed huge, like a church, but when the second floor went in, it got a lot cozier. Has R19 in the walls and the roof. I have a small pellet stove and two propane direct vent space heaters, gives me aprox 100,000 BTU's of heat.

The pine interior wall covering looks great. What product is that?

I used the same inside and out, 1" thick shiplap pine, it is milled local, was less than $500 for each side.(inside/outside) I painted outside with a paint/stain, color is Cedar, The interior posts are 8' on center, so using 16' boards made for fairly simple instalation. I used 8' shorts of LVLs from a surplus lumber yard in another town a half hour away for the second floor rim joist. I doubled them up and secured them to the posts with 3/8" TimberLok landscaping type screws. I also placed the pine 4x6's under the rim joist LVLs as extra suport. Then it was just getting the 24' wood I beams up, and securing them to the LVLs.