Dye for maple

askanes

Hi Marc,

When you made the picture frame for Nicole a couple of years ago what colour dye did you use in the shellac? I'm trying to do the same thing for a box top but my test boards never seem to look as good. I've watched that video several times now and I don't think I'm doing anything any different except guessing at the colour of the dye.

Thanks,

André

I'm a huge fan of dying maple. I like to bring out the figure, which isn't really necessary, maple can look beautiful without any dye. But since I like the figure some much I do it. My personal favorite way is to go with a medium to dark brown dye that I mix to about 1/4 or even less of the recommended. Then I sand (or plane) after dying, that pretty much leaves the dye only in the figure. Maple is probably my favorite wood, because I find it really versitle. There's no real right or wrong way. I personally don't like it finished with a water based poly. I find the milky white poly even when dry seems to block or blotch out the figure. But that's my taste.

Best advice, get some extra and experiment. Try a bunch of stuff and see what you like best.