So I need a bandsaw

wgeils

I am getting ready to get my first bandsaw. I have never used one and am excited for all of the option a bandsaw will add to my wood working. I was wondering what I should be looking for in a bandsaw and if anyone has any recommendations on a model that is around $500?

Thanks

Wayne

For your budget, you should be looking at 14" bandsaws, with no less then a 1HP motor. I personally have the Grizzly G0555P bandsaw, which after shipping was right at $500. It has proven to be a good saw for me, and would definitely recommend it.

I like the suggestion of the Grizzly saw. This bandsaw has been receiving great reviews for a number of years so it's a proven winner. If it has a downside I'd say it's the size of the motor but even at 1HP you still can resaw but it will be slow going. There are some other 14" bandsaws out there that selll for less money but none of them will give you the bang for the buck that the Grizzly will.

With a $500 budget, I'd also take a look at the used market. Depending on your location, older larger bandsaws often are available for very reasonable prices, and even if you find a 1950's era Delta 14" bandsaw, which is the bandsaw that the Grizzly bandsaw is a clone of, it will be a nicer machine to have in ways that don't show up on a spec sheet. The castings will be beefier, and overall the machine will be better built. Even the sheet metal for the wheel covers will be thicker.

You don't need to be a mechanical genius to restore a bandsaw. It's a pretty simple machine. I have a 1940's era 16" Walker-Turner bandsaw that I got back into working order, and my day job is being a pediatrician, and I had never undertaken a project like that before.

One last thing: I think that motor HP on a bandsaw is overrated. It's nicer to have a bigger motor, of course, but it just doesn't take that much horsepower to pull a thin bandsaw blade through wood. If you are overloading your motor, you are most likely feeding the wood too quickly or need to change your blade because it's too dull. All 14" bandsaws in the 1950's came with 1/3-1/2 HP motors, and I'm sure that back in the day woodworkers still needed to resaw wood on their bandsaws. Yesterday I resawed a 8" wide red oak board pretty easily, and my motor is only 1/2 HP.

I like to buy my bigger machines at Acme Tool. I don't know if you have one in your area, but they have sales every other month or so where it seems nearly everything is 10% off. Once a year they have one of those year end events where often you can get the floor models at 25% off or more. With your budget, some good timing, and an Acme Tool, you might be able to sneak into a Rikon or if your willing to reach a bit perhaps a Powermatic Band Saw.

For what it's worth I think the Rikon is pretty cool. Eh, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.