Biscuit Joints

There are some interesting responses on the Wood® forum.

http://community.woodmagazine.com/t5/General-Woodworking/Biscuit-Joints/m-p/55087#M20910

Russ says..."Biscuits are for alignment purposes NOT for strength."

kmealy says...'I would respectfully disagree that biscuits are for reinforcing joints and not for alignment."

Jim says..."biscuit joints have held up as well as loose mortise and tennon joints."

I guess that's one of those things that could be argued either way. Personally, biscuits used in that way would make me nervous, so I would substitute dowels if I was trying to keep it simple, just to satisfy my own fears of self-destructing furniture.

I also liked the way the cover of the magazine says "Build it easily with only basic tools". Funny, I've never thought of a biscuit joiner as a "basic" tool, but maybe I just haven't been watching Norm enough ;)

Is a biscuit joint strong enough for a bench?

I suppose (if one had some irrational phobia against M&T joints or if you're working with some rare stock and don't have the extra length for M&T's) you could do a preliminary glue-up using biscuits and then come back with a drill and peg stock to turn biscuits into through-dowel joints.

But on its own, no. All the joints in this project are butt joints (end grain to long grain) which need the shearing and racking strength of solid wood joinery. I'm 160# after a healthy meal and I wouldn't trust this design.