Need a Planer

JimReed

I apologize for the newbie question but I took a long layoff from woodworking while raising my three kids but I am now back to it with a passion. I am committed to doing it right this time around. I just sprung for a SawStop saw and good dust collection and I am now moving on to a new planer. Everything I read suggests a helical head is the only way to go. I just saw this 13" Steel City Helical Head Planer (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/steelcityportableplaner13helicalhead.aspx) on sale for just $500. Almost seems too good to be true but I don't have a clue about Steel City or this planer. What can folks tell me?

Would this be a better choice than the beloved DeWalt 735 I hear folks raving about? My thought is that the helical head would trump the 735 IF Steel City is a decent build.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

I wouldnt get hung up on the helical cutters. I thought they would be the greatest thing next to sliced bread. So far Im wishing I would have just stuck with straight knives, in fact am replacing my planer with a straight knife tomorrow. I dont really think they do much for the average shop. Helical cutters messed up my work flow.

Don

I apologize for the newbie question but I took a long layoff from woodworking while raising my three kids but I am now back to it with a passion. I am committed to doing it right this time around. I just sprung for a SawStop saw and good dust collection and I am now moving on to a new planer. Everything I read suggests a helical head is the only way to go. I just saw this 13" Steel City Helical Head Planer (http://www.highlandw...elicalhead.aspx) on sale for just $500. Almost seems too good to be true but I don't have a clue about Steel City or this planer. What can folks tell me?

Would this be a better choice than the beloved DeWalt 735 I hear folks raving about? My thought is that the helical head would trump the 735 IF Steel City is a decent build.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

I do not have any experience with the Steel City, however, I am going to buy one as it comes highly recommended from a fellow woodworker that absolutely loves his.

==> Helical cutters messed up my work flow

I am still rather taken with the HH on my planer, but sticking with tersa on the jointer. What are your issues with HH?

My issue is edge planing. The Shelix cutter knocks the board over and of course destroys it. My workflow is more important than the shelix. Im sure they are just fine for most folks that dont edge plane. But back to the topic. I have a hard time understanding why the Steel city is so inexpensive with a helical cutter. Would really make me question the planers over all quality.

Don

It is cheaper because it doesn't have as many cutters; pretty sparse field of cutters, but each circumference of the cutter head has 3 cutters IIRC. The frame of the planer is the same design as the older Ridgid. If I was buying a lunchbox planer today, it would be the first I'd consider.

Look at that Highland page; there's a video review by a member of our community.