Your thoughts on my finish schedule

rpike

So I'm about ready to finish my 6'x10' cherry bookcase. I think I've come up with what I'd like to use for the finish and wanted some of your thoughts. I've only finished using oil and wax in the past, so this is my first "complex" finish schedule. This is what I'm thinking:

1.) wash coat with Bullseye

2.) shellac with Honey Amber transtint to tame the reds in the cherry.

3.) shellac seal coat

4.) burnt umber glaze to eventuate the browns

5.) lacquer topcoat.

I was considering building up a blonde shellac top coat, but would like the durability of lacquer. Also, can I use water based lacquer as a top coat or s solvent based lacquer recommended?

To add to the "firsts" this is my first time using my new HVLP setup on a project (after practicing on scraps)

Thanks in advance for your ideas and comments.

I think you can collapse steps 1 through 3 by applying dark garnet shellac; it will mute the stronger reds.

Depending on the glaze, you might want to seal the glaze before spraying lacquer; the solvent in the lacquer may redissolve and move the glaze. I don't use lacquer so I have no experience putting it over glaze. For that, an ultra-pale shellac would work (or Bullseye SealCoat).

Emtech EM6000 is a water-based lacquer. I recently ordered some to give it a try. Heard only good things about it, which is why I picked it up. If you're using a water-based glaze, seal it with SealCoat before hitting it with the water-based lacquer. If using oil-based glaze, it has to be completely dry or be safe and top it with SealCoat so you don't get adhesion problems.

wwiw, Target Coatings also has a water-based shellac :)

Rpike.......

Sand 180

Spray a washcoat of choice.

Stain General Finishes water-based black cherry stain.

Spray ½ pound garnet shellac

Scuff

Glaze with black cherry stain again.

Spray water-base topcoat General Finishes High Performance.

Glaze again black cherry stain.

Spray topcoat General Finishes High Performance.

Hey Tim......

Enduro-Lacquer-250px.jpg

The name "lacquer" is a marketing term. Lacquer is not trademarked. Same thing goes for Shellac and Milk paint. :wacko:

-Ace-