Blanket Chest/Coffee Table

blkdiamond

I just finished a blanket chest/coffee table for my wife just in time for Christmas. The plans are from Wood Magazine, but I modified them slightly as it would have been too tall for a coffee table. The frame is solid birch and the panels are all birch ply. There are three coats of General Finishes Lamp Black Milk Paint followed up by three coats of GF Satin Polyacrylic.

post-3491-0-85234300-1324391210_thumb.jp

• Like 2

looks solid think you should test it by standing on it and then dragging behind your car to check its durability. I personally don't care for black though too hard to keep clean. built a set of boxes for a lady to store her teas in and she wanted them to have black lids. couple weeks later she complained that she could not keep them looking clean and shinny. ended up refinishing them for her for a decent price:). what is the dimensions of the chest since you said you had to shrink it a bit.

The dimensions are 19 1/2" high, 20" deep, 44" long. The change that I made was the height as the plans had it at 22", which would have been too tall. The wife boss made the decision on the black paint which will match most of our other furniture in the house. I am curious to see how the GF Milk Paint holds up over time versus a regular latex paint.

I like the style. Looks solid for sure. Does the top higne so you can store stuff inside? Did you put a clear coat over the milk paint? That piece will be around for a while thats for sure. Thats the nice thing about building stuff yourself it will outlast you! Nice work you should be proud!

Thanks for the comments. Yes I did put three coats of GF Satin Polyacrylic over the milk paint.