EWT selection advice

sbarton22

So, Santa was pretty good to me and I have a gift card for Woodcraft. I'm looking at getting a EWT rougher and I might have enough "spare cash" to also get a finisher.

First question...Rougher: I think the difference between the full sized and medium is about 1" of reach. I assume the thickness of the tool is proportional. So, what are the pluses and minunes of the different sizes? I kind of feel the thicker tool is better for roughing, even though I understand that you can get pretty nice cuts from this "rougher".

Second...Finisher...I like how the finisher takes the round cutter. I think this is good for inside cuts of various design. Again, I think there is a 1" difference and the price is about $25 (the smaller one is on sale). Is the extra inch worth the $25? As a finishing cut, would I need the extra reach?

Lastly... are there any other tips or words of advice one the EWT tools?

Thanks!

I'm not an experienced turner at all and have only used a couple of EWT tools. I think the large and medium tools have the same thickness bar (that the cutter rests on) - the mini tools have a smaller bar. The larger bar gives better support for larger cuts / turnings.

I wouldn't worry about "reach" at all - I'd look at the size of things that you turn. The larger tools are more comfortable when turning larger bowls and spindles. I use the mini tools on pens and 6" bowls and they are great for that - since they are smaller, you are right "in" at the work. A large tool would be too awkward for a pen.

So, I'd match the size of the tool to the work you expect to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got all four of the full sized tools. They each have an area that they excel in, however you might be able to do with just two, choosing either the rougher or finisher and pairing it with the detailer. I use the rougher and finisher when setting the profile, and the detailer for tight spots and parting. I chose the full sized tools because I wanted all the mass I could get on the tools to cut down on chatter, but if you're going to be doing smaller projects, I don't see where you lose much with the intermediate sized ones.

I haven't used the hollower yet, so I can't remark on that, but I suspect it will be as useful as the others are.

I'd like to hear your reviews on the hollower. There is a tool show in my area at the end of the month and I have been thinking about getting it then.

I have the full size rougher and the mid sized finisher. I like the round for the inside of bowls and my thought process was if I am working on "finishing cuts" (and saying it is just for finishing simply doesn't give it enough credit) I will be closer to the material. I also like the smaller tool for some smaller work.

I can see how a fella might own all of them when it is all said and done...I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I tried out the EWT Hollower this past weekend. I found that it is very easy to use and the cuts are very smooth. Also, it seems to be very stable; I believe this is due to the wide, flat shaft. However, that shaft is the very thing that caused me some problems. It is so wide that is difficult to use on vessels that have a narrow mouth or opening.

Chris

I have been waiting for a while to get a set of these and I finally pulled the trigger. I only have a mini lathe for now and do small work pens and small bowls and lids for now and I bought the mini set and I love them I really didn't need the mid or full size at all for me the minis are awesome so for sure just consider what size of stuff you turn if it's small stuff like me they are only $89 each I have the rougher, finisher, detailed, and a easy pen turner it's blade is slightly rounded easier to control than the finisher in small applications good luck you can't go wrong with these tools they are great

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...