The Schwarz Has Spoken

baok

I had been wondering about my decision to start using olive oil on my stones and rather than asking everyone's opinion, I just decided to try and email Christopher Schwarz. I didn't expect any answer but I figured that email is quick and I was not out anything.

Imagine my surprise when I got a response not long afterwards.

Here is his response:

"Greg,

It's all Roy Underhill uses. He says it never gets stinky or rancid.

That's right from the mouth of Roy.

I still use Camillia or Jojoba because I have a ton of that on hand.

-----

Christopher Schwarz"

There you have it. Pretty exciting.

- will design rockets for food

You would be surprised about which natural oils can be used on stones and tools.

I researched then tested various natural oils for use on stones and tools and the results are very interesting.

You won't go wrong following the herd, but there are simple alternatives that are just as good and a lot cheaper.

I'm a former chemist and a life-long woodworker.

News at Eleven... :)

I have emailed Chris several times as well an always got a response that was honest and helpful-just as you would suggest from him and thats one of the things I admire. I am suprised about it not going rancid as that what you always hear and are warned about with wood bowls but if Roy says! I switched to mineral oil a few years ago after I was not able to get the standard Norton oil in my area. I actually like the mineral oil better anyway and it's a lot cheaper so win win. Thanks for sharing about the olive oil and happy sharpening.

Nate

I've used 3-in-one for quite awhile myself. My original point in starting this topic stemmed from my desire to get away from using that because I don't like the way it smells. The smell seems to stay on my hands even after washing.

I know it's a trivial point and there are more important details to worry about when sharpening but this seemed like something easy to implement and it was pretty neat to get a definitive answer from someone who knows. That's why I love the internet, or more specifically, forums like this one where the signal-to-noise ratio is very high.

Lubricating oils for oil stones boils down to two categories:

1. Petroleum Based

Any light weight oil that is clean and doesn't offend you can work. These include: fuel oil, diesel oil, motor oil, "cutting" oil, mineral oil, kerosene, etc. A long as it light weight (low viscosity) and doesn't contain contaminants, it should work. I come from a long line of woodworkers, at least six generations. My ancestors used just about anything they could find, that worked, for oiling stones.

2. Natural

I prefer natural oils for my stones. Saint Roy uses olive oil - enough said. There are many natural oils that will work, and I have tried and studied several that I like. The drying oils; such as linseed oil, tung oil, and walnut oil; should be avoided. They will dry and gunk up your stones. In fact, stone masons use pure tung oil to seal their work. The natural oil that I prefer is readily available, cheap, and works very well on oil stones. My personal choice is @#$%^& Oil. <<<< keyboard error >>>>