How does pre-finishing affect a glue-up?

rbbauer00

I am building the four-drawer jewelry chest from last month's woodcraft magazine. It seems that a smooth finish would be easier to achieve if I applied it to each individual piece before the glue-up. I am using General Finishes Semigloss water based top coat for this project, but I would love info on this question as it applies to other finishes as well.

Does the finish affect the joint strength-should I sand the finish from the joint, or even try to not get finish into the joint?

Lots of people prefinish parts before assembly. The trick is to avoid getting finish on the areas to be joined. I use masking tape (usually use the green variety, but blue will work too) if I want to finish a piece before assembly. For example, if I want to prefinish an apron before assembling a table, I will mask off the tenon to avoid getting finish on it.

These aren't traditional joints. The drawer runners are exposed and are just squared stock set into a v-groove on the inside of the legs. There is no practical way to distinguish which part of the surface on the runner will mate with the v-groove on the leg. I could easily finish the top separate from the sides, but is there a good way to pre-finish the runners? Here's a pic:

il_570xN.302416668.jpg

I don't have a spray setup so I'll be brushing or using a rag. The Photo doesn't show it well, but the depth of the v-groove is half the (diagonal) width of the runner, so there really is not an acute angle between the runner and the leg. I suppose without the top on, the inside of the runners would be reasonably easy to reach for sanding between coats. I just don't want to get buildup in any inside corners.

I may try to mark of the area like Franklin suggested. The plans include some glue-up jigs that woud make it easier to precisely mark the mating surfaces.