Finish on cutting board

robercik72

HI,

I have made cutting board from A Cut Above

http://thewoodwhispe...-cutting-board/

and it looks OK. It's my first project, I expected much worse, so I'm pleased with it, but it is not near as good looking as on that video. My problem is that at first I have used Salad Bowl finish and it gave me a nice gloss look which I really liked, but after a couple of weeks of heavy use (I use it for everything now) you could see the finish wear off and it looked like it was shedding skin - many bald spots. To fix it I have decided to use this time Butcher Block Oil, but now the wood got much darker, especially maple, and it does not look as nice. Have I done something wrong? Or the best solution is to put a new coat of Salad Bowl finish and not use it :(

Any suggestion?

"It's better to ask and be embarrassed, than not to ask and be embarrassed all the time"

I do believe I mentioned in the original video that you really are NOT going for gloss. Gloss on cutting boards means you are building up a substantial film. For a surface like a cutting board, you really don't want that. Unless you like bits of finish in your food. :) So I would review the finishing portion of the video to see exactly what I recommend. This isn't exactly like varnishing a piece of furniture. The varnish is really there to seal the board only. So once the board stops accepting finish, you're maybe one coat away from being done. Generally speaking, the wood should look fairly dull.

I made the board from the video as well, I finished like the video showed and it came great, I been using it for about 6 months now and it still is holding up well.

My brother owns a restaurant so Made a nice one for but it was only for display so I did build a finish up in it. It look great but it would not work well for anything but a display piece.