shop made beall system

duckkisser

Here is an idea for you. Why couldnt you get a threaded rod and attach it to a wood blank with a castle nut or just embed a nut into it and attach that to a faceplate? Drill into the other and for the tail stock to support. If you have a drill chuck that would center the hole for the nut and shaft.

Just an idea.

my main concern with that is vibration from a unbalnced home made mandrel and i dont have a drill chuck for the lathe yet. i only have one faceplate right now and i dont want to take it off and on everytime i need to use it so that might be the way i go down the road but i think for the time being that i will just get come buffing wheels that i can attach to drill press and buff that way.

any tips on buffing? good wheel poor wheel? compunds to avoid?

while im talking about mandrel where can i get one for rings and bracelets?

or if mandrel is not right tool for turning rings what is?

Perhaps I am wrong but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get the right tool. A jacobs chuck with a Morse taper to fit your lathe is not very expensive and it does open up other projects like tool handles and ornaments. PSI has a keyless chuck for as little as $26 http://woodturning.pennstateind.com/search/index?query=jacobs+chuck&x=0&y=0 It allows you to make shop made faceplates using a Beall tap. You could then make several wooden faceplates to mount a permanent method of fastening a buffing wheel with a bolt thru a washer and a wheel thru a hole drilled into the faceplate (not tapped all of the way) with a nut securing the bolt. If you have a chuck it is even easier to make these with a block of wood and a tenon that can be gripped with the chuck. I don't think vibration will be an issue. The wheel should be fairly well balanced and the hole should be centered. It is not like you are turning an unbalanced bowl blank.

Mike

http://mikepeacewoodturning.blogspot.com/

dwacker i want to have all 3 if i was going to just stick with one wheel i would just have one on drill press but i was wanting to have all 3 steps on one length to save set up time.

mpax i am going to get a drill chuck its just that i only buy tools with money that i have made with stuff i have made. so if i stick to that rule (which i am so far even thought its realy hard) i have to wait for the chuck i only have 15 dollers left after buying sand paper, buffing compounds(realy cheap 3$) BLO and wipe on poly. but the chuck is next buy then a faceplate that i can use to hold bowl in reverse so i can put a foot on the bowls. i should have jsut enough to buy cheap buffing wheels and arbors to mount to drill press. for the time being that is what im going to setle on.

i want to find a good way to makefinger rings and bracelets on the lathe i figure ill need some kind of mandrell but i havent figured out the best way to mount them without breaking my tool or chiping up the blade any thoughts?