Top finishes with HVLP

hscrewdude

Hey guys,

I haven't posted in a while, but my dad and I just got av hvlp and were wondering what a favorite top finish to spray with these unis is. We have no experience with these and would like any tips or suggestions you are willing to offer. It's only a cheap (rockler) unit for a starter setup before shelling out$$$. We like to finish many pcs at the same time and this would save a lot of time once we learn the proper way to use it. I have always got the answers I need from fellow woodworkers like you, so thanks in advance. P.S. If ot helps, we usually stain with minwax oil base with a rag. Never tried water based or gel finishes.

Thanks

Bob

i just started using a similar spray system, i got the earlex 5500 pretty happy with it so far. I am using general finishes polyacrylic i got from amazon. It is water a water born top coat. I am having great success with it using a 1.5mm needle. if you never sprayed before honestly the best thing i can tell you is to google a few videos to get the general idea of the motion. After that fill it up with water and practice a little. The water will flow faster than the finish will so once you get a good pattern you will need to open the flow up a little once you switch to the top coat. Just play with it for a while before you put it on anything that matters. The bigest thing i can tell you is start spraying before the wood and follow thru untill you are past it and keep a steady distance and never stop in the middle.

Good luck and have fun!