ca glue alternatives?

duckkisser

i bought some glue at the local hobby store for making a ca finish. kinda price 5 dollers for 1oz seems like ill end up needing more then that over the long term. anyone know where i can get some in larger quantities for a resonable price. gorilla makes a glue that is 2oz for same price but i dont think it has cyanoacrylate in it will that be a problem? maybe something that is 2-5 oz bottles that i can use?

what do you use?

I have had good luck with the CA Titebond glue, http://m.woodcraft.com/Product/2021102/24487/Instant-Bond-CA-Adhesive-Thin-2-oz.aspx I usually get it at my local woodcraft. It is also on sale right now. Plus it works good to fill in small void when turning punky or salted wood. I would suggest some accelerate also. I use it when filling the void after I dab the glue in the void. It just builds up quicker

Be aware that CA has a shelf life. Once the package is opened, it will slowly lose it's effectiveness. Fresh glue works much better, so don't buy more than you can use in a reasonable amount of time.

I usually shoot for 6 months, which is a small bottle, and only buy larger quantities when I know I will use it fast.

Be aware that CA has a shelf life. Once the package is opened, it will slowly lose it's effectiveness. Fresh glue works much better, so don't buy more than you can use in a reasonable amount of time.

I usually shoot for 6 months, which is a small bottle, and only buy larger quantities when I know I will use it fast.

Keep it in the fridge. I have the same bottle I bought 5 years ago. I use it to fletch arrows, so it only gets used a little bit getting ready for hunting season or the wife fixes something around the house.

Don

The fridge certainly can help, but I've still had it go bad. I think it has to do with how often you take it out and put it back, and how often the air gets exchanged in the bottle, since moisture accelerates the cure.

I used to go through bottle after bottle of the stuff building giant scale r/c aircraft for others.

Another tip is never store the glue near accelerator. Accelerator fumes can be enough to ruin the glue. I also found that buying from a source that sells lots of glue usually means fresher glue, with lasts longer once you get it home.

The wrong accelerator and glue combination can also cause clouding. Not all glues and accelerators are created equal.

Also, are you using thin, medium, or thick CA?

What method have you found that works best for you? Here, you will find as many answers as turners. I alternate layers of BLO and CA. The BLO acts a a mild accelerator and somehow extends the application time at the same time. I put a drop on a blue paper towel (shop towel) and rub the piece. Then a drop of thin CA on that same towel. The towel doesn't stick to the wood as quickly as if you did it bare. But then, I only need to wait 20 seconds or so to add the next layer. It seems to make a great finish and acts like "crutches" for the CA challenged, like myself. The BLO also helps pop the wood grain, which I like, so it serves 2 purposes for me.

Make sure the CA is fully cured before doing your final buffing or whatnot. I usually let them sit for 24 hours...or 2 hours in a pinch.

This is one of those things that you will just have to try and try again until you get something you are both confident with and like.

i grabed some medium didnt want it to take to long or too fast since i am just starting. i havent figure out a perfect method but i have to say i dont like ca finishes that much the fumes bother my eyes and sinuses too much. even in a huge room with doors open and fan going. im going to try somehting called B. O. shine juice that i learned from captneddie http://www.youtube.com/user/capneddie?feature=watch i like him he is like me that he realizes all the fun is figuring out a cheap alternative or make it yourself plus he seems to make some decent turnings.

1/3 denatured alch

1/3 linseed oil

1/3 shelack

seems simple and easy to make and apply worried about shelack since they say its not good for stuff you handle alot so pens will probably stick with ca glue.

ok just tried the shine juice and i realy like it the smell is not offencive just like denatured alch and shellack. had the shellack dry rate, goes on smooth no streaks and it pops the wood with the linseed oil. i used it on a piece of wood that is like a small handle might use it for a tool handle but im going to see how being handled effcts it with the oils in my skin.