newbie help.

eball

ok guys, need some help here.

Attached is the sketup pic of the cabinet/table i am working on.

The posts are just 4x4 posts, the trim (around top) and lower rails are oak, everything is birch plywood from lowes as well.

The dark brown is hardboard (top and sides).

I am looking for a light/medium brown or something the for the color to contrast the dark brown hardboard. I looking at using GF Java Gel stain for the edging to match the hardboard color.

For the posts and birch I was originally thinking of using CN PreConditioner followed by a gel stain to avoid blotching. However i am thinking that might be too much eveness giving me just a solid color with no grain at all or anything showing thru (might as well paint). Also, at $30 (after shipping) for a quart of CN PreConditioner, it is getting out of my price range.

Thinking i would finish entire thing with GF High Performance Satin Poly (Water Base).

I have looked at a lot of the videos including all of Marc's requarding staining, finishing etc, but still just not sure what direction to go.

Gel Stain-shellac-Poly?

CN PC-stain-poly?

CN PC-gel stain-poly?

Shellac-gel stain-Poly?

BLO-Shellac-Poly?

HELP!

post-4669-0-14412500-1330277958_thumb.jp

eball, I've used CN preconditioner, and it works wonderfully. As you say though, it is expensive.

I just recently (like last night) tried "Cabot Pre-stain wood conditioner", and was really impressed by it. It is inexpensive, especially considering how little you end up using for a job. It's zero wait time, stain immediately after applying. No blotching on the pine piece i was working on. Worth looking into.

http://cabotstain.com/products/product/Pre-Stain-Wood-Conditioner.html

Never used gel stains. I've always used Minwax products, but I gotta say, I'm going to look more into the Cabot line.

Aside from outdoor use solid color stains, I've never run across any stain that hides the wood grain. Like I say, never used gel stain though.

For waterbased finishes lately I've been using DEFT waterborne clear wood finish. Really easy to brush on, and levels nicely. Dries hard as heck too.

Good luck with whatever you end up with. The bench looks like a keeper.