Air Conditioning

vkjanzen

May sound crazy, but starting to plan for the summer. Have 24x26' stand alone shop with radiant floor heat. Never have done much in the summer, but hope to this year. Have looked at putting 'window' a/c unit in through the wall installation - or a ductless system. I noted Mark's install of system in ? 2010 - and thread with other's comments.

I am concerned about dust - try to minimize with use of small dust collector (larger system may be my next investment - after a/c) and air filter - but there is still dust. Anyone will to share experiences with window units vs ductless unit and effect of dust? How often do you have to clean?

I figure I need 12000 BTU system. I have found 115V LG ductless units online for under $1000. Any comments, suggestions, or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I love ductless units. At some point, I'll be installing a ductless heat pump in my shop. How often you'll need to clean the filter will vary depending on your DC system. I could get by with once a month, which is what I do on our house DHPs.

(null)

My shop is 15' x 20' with 9' ceilings. I have had a small ($100.00) window AC unit in it for (I'm guessing) 25 years and it is still going.

I live in Kansas and we get temps over 100 degrees in the summer. Al-tho the AC has trouble keeping up some times, it is far better than nothing.

I clean the filter when it gets dirty. And that depends on what I'm working on and how often I'm working. Of course sanding and scroll saw work (the scroll saw sits right next to the window unit) will clog it up faster than planing or routing work.

I cover it up with plastic on the outside and inside in winter because the wind does blow and it gets cold in Kansas too.

I just can't believe how long this little cheap window AC has lived for me....Gotta go knock on a piece of quilted maple now! :D:lol::P

Rog