Can this be saved?

rick@whydoit.com

I have some sycamore that's been sitting in the garage for about a year. One board I wanted to use has a pretty nasty twist in it. Thinking I might be able to tame it, I ripped it on the bandsaw. Then those pieces - 2 at least - twisted further. The goal was to rip, flatten and glue back up with 2 other, wider boards to make a desktop.

One piece, I tried to take the twist out on a jointer. The board started at 5/4, one side is now 5/8. And there is still a bow in it. A second rip I've tried to get the full length to sit flat on the bench by hand planing the twist out. Still has a bow.

This one is the hand planed one...

img_0954.jpg

I have some sycamore that's been sitting in the garage for about a year. One board I wanted to use has a pretty nasty twist in it. Thinking I might be able to tame it, I ripped it on the bandsaw. Then those pieces - 2 at least - twisted further. The goal was to rip, flatten and glue back up with 2 other, wider boards to make a desktop.

One piece, I tried to take the twist out on a jointer. The board started at 5/4, one side is now 5/8. And there is still a bow in it. A second rip I've tried to get the full length to sit flat on the bench by hand planing the twist out. Still has a bow.

This one is the hand planed one...

It is probably case-hardened, where the boards weren't dried properly in the beginning, and have internal stresses that are exhibited until they are cut. I have had some boards like that. No matter how long or how carfeul I was at drying/jointing/planing them, I just couldn't get the twist out. i just had to give up and get different boards.

I wouldn't think they are unusable, but probably not for a large top. Maybe you could save them for something that needs shorter peices.

Good luck,

Jonathan

========================================