Hammock Design

bbarry9999

I'm converting my kids playarea into an adult play area and adding a firepit, swing and hammock. I intend to build my own hammock frame. While browsing in SketchUp, I found the attached file in the warehouse. While it looks nice, I question the stability and strength of the top. The post will be 6x6, anchored with stones and concrete. I'm pretty confident that should be fine for support. The top is mainly decorative. Any suggestions on the best way to attach the cross beam? We live in central Ohio. lots of rain, temperature swings of low teens to high 90s are normal throughout the year.

Thanks

Bill

Hammock.skp

How about putting a big ol' tenon on the end of each post that fits into a corresponding mortise in the beam? If you can get the fit halfway decent, a bit of waterproof glue, or a crossways dowel through the tenon, or even gravity (?) should hold everything together until the cows come home to central Ohio.

-- Russ

post-685-0-81616000-1332118789_thumb.jpg

PS: While the little sideways pieces on top of the big crossbeam are purely decorative, the big crossbeam itself is not. When somebody gets in the hammock, there's quite a bit of force trying to pull the two posts towards each other. The big crossbeam counteracts that force and makes it easier for the stones and concrete at the bottom to keep everything upright.