wood inlay banding on a turning

duckkisser

i have a little bit of curly maple that i would like to steam and place into a grove on a turning. is it possible to turn the wood then steam and bend and glue in place a curly maple strip? should i instead look into some figure veneer that i can glue into place and then clean up to fit smooth on the turning. i can only find resin and stone inlays instructions sooooo is this something that will be next to imposible?

another option is to make a glue up form to make into a bowl or vase.

If it is thin enough, you shouldn't have to steam. It it is a thicker piece, is it worth cutting a slice out of your work piece and gluing in your maple before you even start?

I guess what really matters is your design intent. For example, does this piece run in a circle around the piece? Does it go perpendicular to the spinning direction? Is it some wacky shape or even like a plug?

I think the reason you don't see a lot of banding via inlay is because you have to cut the band PERFECTLY and even then, you still see a seam.

With that said, the process should be quite easy. You just turn a groove slightly less deep than your inlay piece. Glue your piece (probably use a band clamp or something to hold). then turn or sand to smooth it out.

I think it would be easier to do with veneer. I've wrapped veneer - typicaily about 1/40" - around turnings and its works fine. If you do it right the seam can be hidden nicely. Steam bending wood 1/4 thick is doable but it might be less work just to find a nice veneer.