construction pine from 1850's farm house, worth it?

Ken Wilsbach

Barn wood is better than house wood. Its all going to be full cut so a 2x4 is going to be 2x4. The problem with house wood is the flooring and walls. The flooring joist are going to be full of nails or nail holes from the plank flooring. The walls are going to have more holes than you could imagine from the lath under the plaster. I feel sorry for the guys that had to beat in million of 1" nails to put up the plaster on old houses. :)

Don

Barn wood is better than house wood. Its all going to be full cut so a 2x4 is going to be 2x4. The problem with house wood is the flooring and walls. The flooring joist are going to be full of nails or nail holes from the plank flooring. The walls are going to have more holes than you could imagine from the lath under the plaster. I feel sorry for the guys that had to beat in million of 1" nails to put up the plaster on old houses. :)

Don

i hear ya! I'm very skeptical of the pine due to those reasons. meanwhile, i'm trying to get some pics of the barn wood (which is free) to figure out what trees were used in the construction of them.

i hade some wood that came from a hundred year old barn i spent a day removing all the old square nails (coper anyone seen those before). but for some reason the manure created a cool pattern where the nails were. each nail had green speckles around it and through the wood where the manure had made the nails run and bubble. the nails were green patena that i ended up using super glue and resin to glue together into handles for a box. the box i made looked like it had green birds eyes. dont know what kind of wood it was some kind of yellow pine or ash but it was the suport beam of a rotten barn. i had only finished a 10inchx15inch box a couple hours when the houskeeper at work came through saw it and handed me 50 dollers for it as soon as he saw it. so some times its worth the effort to look at those pieces of wood that look like trash.

• 3 weeks later...

Scapegoat is right. Heart pine can be pretty nice. The nice, golden patina is what makes it "heart." I had some of this and put a 333 mixture of tung, poly and mineral and it came out looking fantastic, if you like the honey look. No need to stain heart pine IMO. Btw I used it to make a book case. Believe it or not the heart pine gets very strong and hard as it ages.