Power

JchonParadise

Everything in my shop has to be tucked into a corner every night, so I have a un-mounted sub-box that I plug into my dryer's 30 amp 220v. I put a 15 amp breaker in it and it works great, just like a huge extension cord. I got it from a buddy that works at an electrical contracting company, and he got it cheap enough that he let me trade him a few miter boxes I made out of scrap for it.

I have an article that details how I installed a subpanel in my garage shop. It doesn't just say 'I ran 6ga wire' but rather how you decide on a size and how to compute the correct size conduit for the wires (which, when painted, don't look bad at all).

A separate related article explains basically making a "dryer extension cord" that goes to your table saw and splits it into a 220V drop for the saw (SawStop PCS in my case) and a GFCI 110V duplex receptacle I use for the router table built into the saw's wing. Nice to have it all powered from one cord plus I've used the 110V receptacle on the saw for adding a light or powering softboxes.

None of it is difficult if you pay attention.

• 2 weeks later...

DIY electrical is a awkward subject. The reality is that most of the electrical fires take place in our modern world are about 80% of the time directly attributable to do it yourself wiring. People might think they know what they are doing but when it comes down to it the reality is that only a small percentage of those people do not know.

If you are going to do your own electrical work then make sure you have it inspected by your local electrical inspector when your done. Take out a proper permit. I know a lot of people think that building inspectors are just there to give them a hard time. Sometimes this might be true. But I find that the vast majority are just there to help. I have built 163 house and done countless remods over the years. I have worked with dozens and dozens of different inspectors over thousands of inspections. One thing I can say for certain unless one of them is having a bad day(we are all guilty of that at some point) I havn't ever had problems with them.

I might disagree with them at times but you will find if you approach things properly. Do work that is considered of good quality and do not shave corners they will respect you and want to be of help. If your a hack and your work screams shoty or substandard then they will go through everything you do with a fine tooth comb... and for darn good reason. Remember they are not just protecting you... they are protecting everyone that will ever live in that house in the future.

I don't recomend to anyone to do their own electrical work without taking the appropriate permits and getting the inspections. If anything happens down the road as a result of work done without proper inspections. It can void your home insurance and the insurance company can refuse to pay. Also if you sell your house and didn't disclose it to the new owners. They can sue you for damages. So it just isn't worth the risk to save $50 for an inspection/permit fee.