competing with the mass produced

jimmykx250

I have a friend that is turning a large spare bedroom into an office. He went to home depot and did a layout for the room. The cabinet layout is L shaped 162" x 119" with 20 cabinets total. Thomasville brand cherry finish. Included in the 20 boxes are 3 keyboard drawers and 3 pieces that are large open bookshelf type cabinets (uppers). He asked me if I would be interested. And I feel like i would have to beet the depots price and not sure I could. Is this worth it if i even try to come close to the depots number? Ive never looked at a job of this size- i have always done furniture type stuff not boxes. I will take some time just to throw a number at this one! Thanks, Jim

I'm nowhere near being a professional woodworker, but having talked in the past to folks in my woodworking club who are, and thinking about this from the customer's standpoint, my feeling is that there's no way for you to beat the price your friend got at the borg. But the thing is you shouldn't even be trying unless you really really really need the cash.

My guess is that the layout at the borg your friend got is completely based on standard cabinet sizes. Rather than trying to duplicate that plan, see if you can come up with a custom layout, and explain why your custom layout will be a better solution to your friend's cabinet issues over the long haul. Then charge accordingly. Don't even think about the borg's price when setting your own. Your friend should be making the choice between the borg's standardized layout vs. your custom solution.

• Like 1

I have a friend that is turning a large spare bedroom into an office. He went to home depot and did a layout for the room. The cabinet layout is L shaped 162" x 119" with 20 cabinets total. Thomasville brand cherry finish. Included in the 20 boxes are 3 keyboard drawers and 3 pieces that are large open bookshelf type cabinets (uppers). He asked me if I would be interested. And I feel like i would have to beet the depots price and not sure I could. Is this worth it if i even try to come close to the depots number? Ive never looked at a job of this size- i have always done furniture type stuff not boxes. I will take some time just to throw a number at this one! Thanks, Jim

Jimmy,

There are so many variables there - I really have cabinet making down to a system, and on some of the borgs better lines, I can be competitive at a retail price, and actually blow them away with quality level - But keep in mind, most of the borg quotes do not include instal, and do not include counters - Make sure your friend checks that.

My best advice would be, be sure you know your costs, before you commit yourself to the job.

Hope this helps,

Gregory

• Like 1

What Gregory said not withstanding, you need to ask yourself, do you want to make things cheaper, or do you want to make things better? If you want to do it cheaper, then you have to compete with companies that outsource stuff to places like china and you become a business man, and once you start doing that, that's what you will be known for and those are the kind of jobs you'll get.

If he's looking for the lowest price, then without a great deal of assembly optimization like Gregory said, you probably can't do it or you will kill yourself trying. If he's interested in hand-crafted quality, then it's probably right up your alley, but only you know what you can do, and if you can pull off what he wants, get him the price he wants, and still make enough to make it worth your while, then go for it.

• Like 1

Agree with everything so far. I think you should go for the 'better quality' angle more than try beating the price. The makers of borg cabinets buy the sheet goods by truckloads, hinges and pulls as well. Just the markup on those items for you will make beating the price much more difficult, unless they are seriously marking them up.

Before spending too much time on a quote, see what he is after by the quote. The comment "do you want to give it a try?" sounds like you're competing for the price. If he means that you coming out with a better, custom designed product, well, then there is no price competition; sell him on the quality and design then give the price. As another thread mentioned in the "Going Pro" subforum, stick to your price. If he asks for a 'friend' discount, tell him you already discounted it. (Pretty sure Dale "DJO Furniture Maker" said it; if not, apologies)

Actually, if you haven't read through posts in that subforum, do that now before deciding on how to proceed.

Thanks for the replies and advice. He knows he is getting a better product if he buys from me, that's why he put in my lap. Greg you are correct the quote does not include tops or install. I just feel like my number should be atleast competitive. I think I will take a run at this one. I am lucky that i have a quality supplier locally that does excellent work cutting to size for me. Thanks again for all the help/opinions.

I just feel like my number should be atleast competitive.

I understand exactly where you're coming from - Because, quite honestly, we "look" at a cabinet, as being a cabinet, and the price being a price. But turn it around a bit - Think about it as if it were a different product, or a different field.

Example: Your buddy goes to the car lot, and gets a price on a chevy pickup. Then he comes to you, who sells cadilac escaldes. Would you still want your number to be atleast competitive? Afterall, they're both trucks, right?

Hope this helps,

Gregory

Jim,

You have received some great advice.

Your friend obviously likes your work or he would not have offered you the opportunity to bid so show him what you can do that they can't, service, design, install etc. Big box store are very limited on creativity and you can give this office some unique features. Think from a user friendly standpoint and how the office will be used. Small details can make a huge difference.

He will be spending a great deal of time in this office and should consider that before deciding on price alone.

Good luck

Keith

I so difficult to compete with Thomasville. How can you build a desk that they sell for $ 800.00 with four drawers. I just told this guy that is Made in China and he started complaining of the Chinese, this and Chinese that, we need to protect our American labor, etc. My answer was that the American consumer wants a low price and is not focused on quality. Is not the Chinese fault that they provide a cheap product, blame the consumer not the supplier.

I an making a go on commercial products and did a lot of different stuff to stay alive. Good luck. Keep at it.

Answering your question, as Gregory said, calculate your costs, your time, your profit and quote your price, don't just do it without making money unless you want to have referrals, and that is OK too.