The world of finishes

cow101

Hello, I just started wood working this year and I built a nice Ash bench, and I am currently building a nice cherry nightstand. I need to finish the bench so I started to look for finishes. I did some reaserch=h, I found son brush on, wipe on, or spray on poly varnish. I also found some spray on laquuer. Should I use spray on finish or stick to brush on. I want to use ethier varnish or laquure. What is the best choice of finish for this project.

I understand one of your choices is going to be either a varnish or lacquer. Varnish being an oil-based and lacquer being solvent based finish. Both are excellent choices. However, since many predict water-based finishes will be our future due to VOC issues with oil/solvent finishes and going green is the new direction. Why not jump in with both feet an learn to finish with water-based products?

Just a thought :)

I would go with a good brush/wipe varnish that contains a lot of solids for both projects. Since you are coating a bench and nightstand, they typically require more protection than a picture frame. Nightstands get abuse from remote controls, alarm clocks, lamps sliding around on the surface and benches just get a ton of abuse. In my opinion those spray cans of lacquer and poly are not the best for coating large surfaces and laying down even coats can be tough. Spray cans are good for smallish projects.

-Ace-