brown maple

rodger.

Does brown maple have the same properties as maple (hardness, etc)?

I am under the impression that they are one and the same, just from different parts of the tree. I could very well be wrong though, I have little experience with brown maple. Almost all of the building I have done with maple has been maple ply with solid maple face frames/doors.

It depends on they type of maple. There is Hard maple ( also known as Sugar Maple or rock maple in the US and Sycamore Maple in europe) and soft maple. The soft maple really isn't that soft just not as hard as hard maple. The color is dependant on what part of the tree it is and can be specified upon order what type you want. Example White hard maple, Brown Hard maple, White soft maple, Brown soft maple ( most places dont destinguish between colors of soft maple). The color difference is between the sap and hartwood parts of the tree. I guess the answer to your question is no, so long as it's the right type of maple. WIth all that being said I use alot of white soft maple where ever possible becuase it is easier on the tooling and sands and finishes quite well (at leat by maple standards.) Hope this helps

It depends on they type of maple. There is Hard maple ( also known as Sugar Maple or rock maple in the US and Sycamore Maple in europe) and soft maple. The soft maple really isn't that soft just not as hard as hard maple. The color is dependant on what part of the tree it is and can be specified upon order what type you want. Example White hard maple, Brown Hard maple, White soft maple, Brown soft maple ( most places dont destinguish between colors of soft maple). The color difference is between the sap and hartwood parts of the tree. I guess the answer to your question is no, so long as it's the right type of maple. WIth all that being said I use alot of white soft maple where ever possible becuase it is easier on the tooling and sands and finishes quite well (at leat by maple standards.) Hope this helps

Yes, this helps. Thanks. The maple if for a countertop, and the person asking about it likes the look of brown maple over white maple. I am not sure the brown maple is as suitable for a kitchen countertop as "regular" maple.