Northeast Georgia Woodworker

Larenzo

Hello from my basement shop in NE Georgia. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 55 and have been working with wood somewhat since I was a kid. My dad was a cabinet maker and then architect. I started woodworking more seriously in the past 10 years or so after some physical problems pushed me out of my old job servicing graphic arts equipment. I started out doing small projects and some cabinets and worked in a cabinet shop for about 4 years. I still have problems with my legs so I work more slowly than I'd like an have to take frequent breaks. I started turning about 4 years ago doing pens and after that I was hooked on turning. I still have only a midi lathe and no prospects of getting a larger one in the near future but I am able to turn up to about 9-1/2" diameter bowls and about 18 inch spindles. I still do other stuff and have worked a number of festivals since last year and have an online shop on Etsy.com

Right now, like I mentioned, I'm really into turning bowls. I thought turning pens was addictive but turning bowls has really hooked me.

I have a small basement shop that is fairly well equipped, but because of limited space I have to move things around a lot to be able to use certain tools. I still like to do other things, too. Right now I'm working on a flag box for my sister-in-law and a souvenir spoon rack for my cousin to give to her grandmother(my aunt).

I don't have an actual website right now but my domain, http://www.mlcwoodworks.com, will take you to my Etsy shop and you can see some of the stuff I've done. I hope to get a decent website up and running one of these days. I used to have one but due to software updates and changes in OS the program I used to use to maintain it no longer works. If anyone knows of a program, cheap or free, that can do editing of websites with a good graphical user interface that works in Windows Vista please let me know. I used to use Netscape Composer, it was easy to use and even though it wasn't all that powerful it did the trick for what I was doing. I've also started a blog but haven't been keeping up with it very well. There are a few entries though, it's at http://mlcwoodworks.blogspot.com if anyone's interested.

Well, I'll be around here browsing and posting from time to time.

See ya'.

I've attached a picture of a bowl I made recently of walnut crotch wood.

post-1551-074961000 1283443171_thumb.jpg