Walnut for outdoor use

ulloa_josh

Wondering if anyone has real life experience using walnut for outdoor use. I realize there's tons of variables so here's the details of my situation. I'm in central california, our winters are wet, no snow but some freezing temps. and summer's hot (100+). I may be building several benches that will be outdoors and for public use. I'd like to use walnut slabs for the benches because the wood has special meaning to the location. I would finish the benches using one of the epifanes products and probably plan on doing some sort of annual maintenance. So any thoughts? Sound reasonable or should I stick with something like teak, white oak, or ?

Thanks,

Josh

Not so sure on walnut outdoors but then again a lot of wood treated the right way can be used outdoors.

Ace Spar, mixed with real 100% pure cold pressed tung oil and some thinning agent all in a batch together. Put on, sand down with steel wool. Do this multiple times (7 at the minimum imo ) and the final coat is a mirror like finish that details the wood while more importantly, protecting it from that beautiful California sun.

You can make it work. Yearly maintenance will be key.

Put some type of risers or levelers to get it up off the ground. They should be made out of stainless or galvanized coated, same for the fasteners.

Make sure the seat has some slope to shed water.

Defiantly use a finish with some pigment for uv protection.

You may want to consider a penetrating finish rather than a top coat.

I just finished some outdoor signage and used a behr semi transparent product from home depot I was very happy with. Very easy to apply and easy to get. The first coat I applied looked ok. The second coat Really looked good. The third even better.

Everything else I've used for exterior has been very time consuming to apply.

Good luck to ya

Sounds like a cool project

That sikkens is awesome stuff. A beautiful finish. Just takes forever to dry and seems temperamental. I got so many mixed instructions for application from sikkens tech themselves and my supplier. It's still a product I'm playing with when I get the chance.

I did get a great finish on a set of entry doors for house but the while process seemed like a science experiment.

It's supposedly a badass topcoat.

Got any good pointers?

I am not the best finisher. Use the best natural brush you can. I had a lot of luck on exterior doors where in the past owners had all their stain crack and peel ... never with Sikkens.

So even if is not the best perfect museum finish out the gate, is the best over time.

Staining with a brush ... ain't easy

So if it is practice is what going to make you better, the only answer I have is for you to use it more ofen. I use it all the time.

My favorite is the Cetol 1 (primer) one coat ... Cetol 23 (top coat) two coats.

That sikkens is awesome stuff. A beautiful finish. Just takes forever to dry and seems temperamental. I got so many mixed instructions for application from sikkens tech themselves and my supplier. It's still a product I'm playing with when I get the chance.

I did get a great finish on a set of entry doors for house but the while process seemed like a science experiment.

It's supposedly a badass topcoat.

Got any good pointers?

• 7 years later...