Roughsawn lumber and Moisture Meter recommendation?

secutanudu

I got some 4/4 roughsawn ash and maple. He said the ash is 5 years old, maple about 8-9 months. Some of the ash was wet from being stored outside, but not too bad, I assume it'll clean up nicely. I am assuming I need to get a meter to check when the wood is ready to use. I see this one on rockler for $25, is it good enough or is something more expensive worth it (or even necessary)?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30937&site=ROCKLER

What target moisture % should I be shooting for?

Is there anything I should know when looking at roughsawn lumber? I am not experienced to know if it's a good piece of wood or not without it being cleaned up.

Thanks!

That meter looks fine to me. I wouldn't mind having it. The one I have you have to consult a chart and find the species your checking because it's calibrated for fur.

When I get rough cut material I always take a knife to a edge or run a block plane to it real quick in a small spot. Just to get a look at it.

Check the end grain for the type of cut and that will give ya an idea of the grain patterns on the face.

Make sure if you get 4/4 it measures a heavy inch. Some mills I've ran into will mill too small and after drying you get shorted that full inch.

If you're getting wet wood it should measure around an 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 easy.

I feel good about working with wood that reads 12% or lower. 9% or lower is real good. It also depends on where you live. I still use the woodshop widget to foreshadow any movement.

I love rough sawn. Mill it right and you get nice, true, and stable parts.

Later

• Like 1

Would the cheaper one be worthwhile? I can't afford to spend that much right now...

IMO no. Like HHH said little pin meters dont read accurately, this is why I like the slide hammer probe. Inexpensive pin meters are good if you are going to cut the board in half and imediatly take a reading or if you are checking veneers. If your heading to the mill to buy lumber you will only get a general idea. All meters need to be adjusted for species, those that are not adjustable or at least have a conversion chart will not be accurate. You can get a decent non invasive meter but they dont work well on thick stock.

If you just need something to spot chech around the shop then the cheaper pin meters are fine assuming you understand that you will have to measure after making a through cut. If your roughing down stock it wont be an issue.

Don

For now, I am fine making a through cut and checking for moisture that way. How far from the end of a board do I have to make the through cut so it's indicative of the overall wetness? Thanks for the advice.

Just do the best you can. Think about what your using it for so you dont waste wood.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have had the Delmhorst J-lite for about 10yrs now and have been very pleased with it. I use it for drying my on lumber and for when I use stock I have stored out of my shop or purchased. I think this is one of the un-sung heros of the shop. Match it with the wood movement calculator at http://woodshopwidget.com/ (set it at measured) and you have all you will need.