ear plug thoughts

duckkisser

my nephew brought to my attention that there is a market for organic ear plugs. a prity good one in fact. he has 3 busness who are willing to pay 20-25 a set of plugs. plus several concerts and shows that they can be sold at for up to 60 dollers a set. all they are is a disc with a cove on the outside ege. they can be decorated any way we want with inlays or decorations. here is how i plan on batching these out quickly so that the two of us can make good money.

i know how to turn and have the tools and have the supplies as well as the connection for the materials we would need for figured wood/exotic wood/ inlay woods. plus ill pay for supplies

my nephew knows the concerts and shows as well as the possible stores that might buy them or the concerts that they will sell well.

The way i was thinking to make them is to turn a long cylinder and put a series of coves all along the length. then i can start parting individual lengths to be turned. ill use a hack saw sice it gives a smaller cut as well as a smaller nub when it does seperate off.

for making repetive thickness ill make my own calipers was thinking of just making a y shaped form and mount a pair of screws on the two points that can me tightened to the size i want. ill end up making 8-9 different calipers for 8-9 different sizes.

after the discs are turned the faces will need to be sanded and mounted with inlays or just left plain wood. was thinking building a jam chuck that i could press the wood discs into. would i need to make a individual chuck for each size or is there a way i can make a jam chuck that will fit several sizes into?

im wondering about finishes i would think wax would attract alot of water and dirt plus wont stay shiny, shilack can get iffy when there is water on the surface like sweat. super glue might be fastest and easiest but what will it do when on your skin for a long time? when used on pens a person might hold it for a while but it wont be on the skin for all day like a ear plug would be. is there any rashes hives iritations that a super glue finish can cause?

what wood should i avoid since some can be very alergic?

does this seem like a good method for doing this? any tips that you think might make making these faster or easer?

what is a usualy percentage for conighnment sales?

First Off, you need to do real research. I would vomit if I heard that you were actually selling body jewelry coated with CA. I will give you a little bit of advice, starting with the fact that you need to look towards NON-TOXIC finishes AND NON-TOXIC WOODS. Also, PLEASE PLEASE do more research than just on this forum. http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Wood_Hazards

Truthfully, with your major lack of knowledge of sterilization and process, please just do not attempt this. People can literally lose their ear lobes.

http://www.woodvilleusa.com

well first off woodvilleusa i have done research. this forum was my first step. i wasent shure what kind of alergic reaction that can acure from just a CA finish. i ended up deciding to use a mineral oil to flood the grain, sand it down to make it ultra smooth using micro mesh, i have decided to use eather a edible shellac base finish that i cured in a low temperature kiln. or i will use jojoba oil/carnauba wax depending on availability and the market. its the same way i finish my chop sticks so they will be food safe. i have a list of woods that i have been told are extreamly alergic. most rose woods, zebra woods, king woods, tulip woods, sugar maple, birch, wenge, ebony, purple heart, paduke, teak, holly, teak, cedar, satin, hemlock, pine, yew wood---- basicly anything with dalbergione. while most people are not alergic perhaps as much as 5% of the population is alergic to wood oils. (usualy its to the wood dust inhaling and not and wood surface itself) so i have avoided some of the more well known alergy producing woods. if you had realy taken the time to read my post you might notice that i mostly was asking about how the best way to make a product. I had questioned on a friendly forum which types of woods people knew to be extreamly alergy inducing. i had put to a group of profesional wood workers my question about CA finishes since i know the pumes can be dangerous but is it dangerous after it hardens?

i notice on your site you sell maple, ebony, holly and zebra woods which have been known to cause some severe alergies. i have also noticed that you also make wood rings on your site. how have you solved the problem of the weak short grain that takes up half of the ring? all the rings that i have made that are made from a solid block of wood similar to your rings have always had a flaw in the short grain that they end up being weak and can easily crack on that side.

so instead of opening your mouth to vomit why not you instead take the same time you took to type up your critisim of my idea and give me some advice. for example why cant a CA finish be used for ear rings? what do you mean by sterilization because i had thought to start it out by boiling the wood to make the wood cells break and which in turn (no pun intended) make your wood turn better and it will have a smoother surface. then i had thought to just wash the wood with a light anti bacterial soap to prevent the soap oil from building up in the wood and ruining the finish.

I've used drums of CA, and have always been lead to understand that cured CA is not at all hazardous.

Here's an example MSDS

Shall I save you the empty containers to catch the vomit?

do you use 55 gallon drums because that would be alot of vomit and alot of glue................what would you use 55 gallons of super glue for? do you ever find yourself stuck hanging up side down on the wall?

Man, I am so out of it. I've been thinking all this time that ear plugs were something that you put in your ears to either 1) keep the swimming pool water out, or 2) protect them from noise. I've got to get out more.

-- Russ

Man, I am so out of it. I've been thinking all this time that ear plugs were something that you put in your ears to either 1) keep the swimming pool water out, or 2) protect them from noise. I've got to get out more.

-- Russ

Ditto. But I'm not sure I wanna spend that much time anywhere there's an abundance of ear "plugs." Call me old fashioned. I prefer intact humans.

Pretty cool stuff that woodville makes, though, gotta say. Craftmanship is craftmanship.

do you use 55 gallon drums because that would be alot of vomit and alot of glue................what would you use 55 gallons of super glue for? do you ever find yourself stuck hanging up side down on the wall?

Upside down is good!

CA can replace epoxy for fiberglass and carbon fiber lay ups. Say... airplane wings, helicopter blades, or race car parts...

post-5634-0-20197600-1338424887_thumb.jp