new shop new dust collector

tdale51@yahoo.com

I've recently had to move my shop/residence to a new location. I've been thinking of upgrading my 500CFM dust collector for a while. Unfortunately my new shop space has only 110V 15A circuits at this time. The circuit breaker box is completely full, so there's no room to expand. The collector I'm looking at is this one. http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-50-760-1-5HP-Vertical-Collector/dp/B00078V9KA/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1341448065&sr=1-2&keywords=dust+collector I've looked everywhere I can think of to find the actual amp draw of this unit but can't find it. Can anybody tell me what it is? Thanks

I have this Delta 50-760 dust collector, acording to the owners manual it draws 15.7 amps, and needs a 20amp # 12 wire dedicated circuit. Running the unit on a low voltage circuit will damage the motor. I really like the Delta dust collector it's been a great addition to my shop good luck.

You might be able to talk to an electrician to do a subpanel in your shop; that just takes one 220V slot in the main service panel. I know it's full, but there are clever (and code) breakers you can get that have two 110V breakers along with one 220V breaker all that fits in the space of a normal 220V breaker. So, the electrician could remove two 110V breakers that are next to each other in the box and replace them with this piggyback breaker. The two 110V breakers it includes take the place of the ones you removed but now you have a 220V available to feed a subpanel where you could have plenty of 20A circuits you need in a shop and some 220V.

Just an option.

I agree with Paul-M.

You can also get 1/2 breakers, so that 2 fit in the spot of one. This should give you lots of room to add additional circuits (though they are much more expensive than full size breakers).

I have a 12/3 line running to my shop. This gives me 2 circuits, and saves on romex (though it takes a double breaker). The first 20A circuit is only for my dust collector (Delta 50-760), and the second circuit is for all the other machines. I can only use one machine at a time (not including the DC), so it all works out well.

Either way, get an electrician to do it properly if it's a complicated job.

One other option, which can be cheaper but might not answer your specific needs, are those automatic switches. I'm personally trying to get one because I have a smaller shop, and can get away with the smaller DC, but it might not work for your situation. These switches are the ones that automagically turn on the DC when the tool in question is used... nice to have two outlets tied to the same 110 outlet, but it again brushes up against your 15a limit...

(Then again, you might want to dedicate the 500 CFM hose beast - get it? late night humor - up to one particular tool, and save the bigger DC for others... for example, hook the smaller one up to a machine that might otherwise be at the "end of the line" on the main DC run. Or in an awkward place for ducting or hoses...)