Drying Cedar?

jbstudio

Hi! I am in the process of making a swinging porch bench out of western red cedar, more like a hanging day bed. It is green, clear cedar. I knew that it was going to be "wet" since it is green cedar but some of the boards as I was milling were actually really wet coming off the planer. I have milled the boards to within 1/4" of my final deminsions so that when the wood moves I might still be able to mill it square and flat agan. But with as wet is the boards were I am now worried that it is going to move a whole lot more on me. My main question is if the bench/hanging day bed is going outside anyways, how dry should the wood be before I start working it again. I don't want to cut any of my joinery until I can feel good about the wood staying where I want it. The wood is currently in stickers in my garage. Also, once it is done the bench will be painted. Is there anything I should consider before I paint it, ie what kind of paint, will the paint "seal" the wood and help prevent further movement or cracking? Thanks for that help. Cheers!

This answer will vary slightly depending on where you are and your local climate. However, a good rule of thumb for exterior wood is air dried to 18%. This is a good compromise where the exterior ambient shouldn't drop too much nor rise too much on you. However if you are in the desert or in placing the swing in direct, harsh sunlight, it will be forced to dry less than the 10-15% that is exterior ambient for most of the US.

We sell all our decking and Western Red Cedar meant for exterior use at 18-20% and we ship it all over the country with no complaint. Even the drier climate of the Rockies works well.

Thanks for the reply Renaissance Woodworker. I am in the rainy Pacific NorthWest and the bench will be pretty covered and out of direct sunlight (not just because we don't have a lot of sunlight ^_^, but because the porch is covered). Thru my research I wasn't able to find the 18% for exterior wood rule, so I am very glad to have this forum.