Vacuum Chuck or Longworth Chuck?

croessler

So... I'm in a bit of a quandary and would like to solicit your opinions. When finishing up my turnings it can be difficult to get a good finish cut on the bottom and / or foot of the bowls or platters. In researching alternatives I still came back to two possibilities:

Has anyone had any experience with either of these? Even better, has anyone had experience with both? Having used neither I am seeking some guidance from the community at large.

Chris

I have not used either but plan to make both. I see the longsorth as useful for bowls and not much else. I see the vacuum chuck being used for platters, hollow forms, bowls. I think each has it's niche. My plan is to build a vacuum chuck first and see if it handles everything I want it to, then build the longworth if needed.

BRuce

I have limited experience with both in classes. As was stated both have their respective benefits. If you turn a fair amount of badly spaltted, punky wood, natural edge, or bark inclusions, the longworth is the way to go. You wont be able to maintain vacuum, Some of the natural edge, if its not really close you wont be able to catch with the longworth. JMHO

If it helps - with a router and tramel you can make your own longworth chuck out of plywood, some bolts and a small face plate. If you google you can download free plans to make it - I would start with it and then move to other chucks as needed by your projects.