Wood Grades

daddyman77802

I have been looking through the website of a hard wood distributor in my area that I am considering using in the future. As I was reading through their product list, it has a column labled "Grade and Thickness" Through some additional research in the AHEC Guide to American Hardwood Lumber Grades, I have figured out the meaning of FAS, #1 Common, #2 Common. However, there are a couple I can not figure out.

They are:

"Select and Better"

"Color no Defect"

"Natural Select and Better"

"Superior"

"Cabinet"

"Superior Color"

"Superior 1 Face"

"#1 Shop"

Please help with some clearification.

This would be Shannon Rogers, also known as “The Renaissance Woodworker”. He also runs the “Hand Tool School”. Shannon works for a lumber company, and has answered questions on WTO regarding wood grades before. So, here’s hoping he, or someone else, will drop by and answer your wood grade questions.

The basic grading system can be found on google, some species have a separate grading system, like walnut, some are obvious like the clear, basically all grain , no knots mineral streaking, and it goes down from there. the lowest will have the most defects and shorter board length and width, most of the gradeing that you put up is variations or in between the grades you mentioned first. #2 is I believe above "shop grade" or sometimes called " cabin grade. " you can probably contact whatever vendor you are looking at and they will let you know the specifics of those grades, or just wait for Shannon to see the thread. He would probably be able to tell you exactly what each grade entails.