Selling Cutting boards

sbarton22

Do any of you sell cutting boards?

I took my first set to a show and they wouldn't stop sweating oil. Maybe I over oiled them? Basically, they really did it in direct sunlight, which is something I could not control.

I think understand WHY they sweat, but I don't know what to do about it. Should I use less oil?

any help would be great! Thanks

To me it seems they always weep oil unless you use something like Rockler sells with wax in it. Keep wiping them until it stops then try adding oil with the wax. I've done it in the past and the wax created a barrier to hold the oil in. However, I now use Marc's method and use a food safe varnish instead. No weeping, no slippery surface, no finger prints and it much more thoroughly seals the pores of the wood.

how do you maintain a board with a food safe varnish? In fact, how does that even work? If the benefit of an end grain board is that the knife can slightly penetrate the "surface" of the board without doing damage to the board or dulling the knife, won't that break the hardened seal of the varnish?

Further down the road, what do you tell a customer to use to maintain it?

The thinned varnish penetrates the board to the point that it's saturated all the way through. I'd recommend you watch Marc's video on cutting boards. That's where I learned about the material I'm talking about. I think you'll honestly like it once you use it...you were my fellow architect in this forum right?

• Like 1

Oh, I've watched that video many moons ago. I like mineral oil because the customer can reapply it themselves later. I wonder if I could use a food safe varnish and then still be maintained with mineral oil? Long long does your initial finish last?

And yes, drafting away in my other monitor right now!

What I do instead is give customers a business card and they bring them back for maintenance when they're ready.... A light sanding and a light re-application seems to work fine. If they're cut into deeply a pass or two through my drum sander gets the cuts out. Coat it again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've sold close to 60 boards over the last few months and have not had a problem with weeping. I use http://www.amazon.com/Howard-BBC012-Butcher-Conditioner-12-Ounces/dp/B001ESTA30 three coats. Those who purchase the boards like this product as well because it's easy to find via Amazon or Home Depot and easy to apply. It also looks fantastic.