New Festool Dust Extractor - w/non Festool tools

bepilot757

I am interested in getting one of the new Festool Dust Extractors to use with my routers and sanders. I have no Festool routers or sanders - they are all Bosch, Mikita, and Dewalt. I currently have a 1.5 hp Delta dust collection system that works well with my saws and joiners, but is a pain to hook to the smaller hand held tools. I like the things I have heard and read about the Festool Dust Extractors and would buy one today expect for not knowing how difficult it might be to adapt them to the dust collection connectors on the non Festool units. Does anyone have experience with using them this way?

Hey you will not go wrong. I would get the biggest vacuum and use also the re-usable bags, yes they are more money but you will use them over and over. Plus you don't have to store the other bags.

I assume that the extractor will work with other tools plus when you set the CT on automatic, it starts when you start your tools.

I have two CT 33's one stationary on my shop and one that is my wildcard for secondary operations because when you need it ... you need it. Also the second one has become my house vacuum as well since my other expensive German vacuum cleaner broke (Miele)

Hey you will not go wrong. I would get the biggest vacuum and use also the re-usable bags, yes they are more money but you will use them over and over. Plus you don't have to store the other bags.

I assume that the extractor will work with other tools plus when you set the CT on automatic, it starts when you start your tools.

I have two CT 33's one stationary on my shop and one that is my wildcard for secondary operations because when you need it ... you need it. Also the second one has become my house vacuum as well since my other expensive German vacuum cleaner broke (Miele)

I appreciate the quick reply. I know the auto switch will work my only concern was adapters to the hose ends on the Festool I have looked at the Festool form and there seem to be many users coming up with several types of adapters. I stopped at the local Festool dealer yesterday and they are waiting to get the new model in. I am planning on getting the CT36 when they get one. That is one classy house vac system you are using now. :D

I am in the same boat you are.

I pre-ordered the Festool CT 36 and a TS 55. The TS 55 should be here today but the CT 36 won't ship until next month. I will let you know who it connects to my other tools.

I fear I have started yet another tool addiction for my self. :)

No, you just invested in better equipment. Think of this as an investment.

Congratulations and welcome to the Festool Owners Club.

I am in the same boat you are.

I pre-ordered the Festool CT 36 and a TS 55. The TS 55 should be here today but the CT 36 won't ship until next month. I will let you know who it connects to my other tools.

I fear I have started yet another tool addiction for my self. :)

Drink the green Koolaid, slide down the slippery slope.

It's cheaper than the chestnut Koolaid.

Haha yea I am pretty excited about trying the festool tools. I was surprised the dealer would let me buy the saw and DC kit and ship the saw now. Works for me I get to try the saw when I get home.

One word of caution. Not all tools will work as well as the Festool version of the same tool. Festool designs their tools starting with dust extraction in mind. I have tried using a Porter Cable belt sander with my new CT33 and there was quite a bit of dust getting out (including on my glasses). Were this a Festool sander, this would not have happened. Unfortunately I'll have to win the Lottery to replace all my current tools (ah wouldn't it be fun, to do).

One word of caution. Not all tools will work as well as the Festool version of the same tool. Festool designs their tools starting with dust extraction in mind. I have tried using a Porter Cable belt sander with my new CT33 and there was quite a bit of dust getting out (including on my glasses). Were this a Festool sander, this would not have happened. Unfortunately I'll have to win the Lottery to replace all my current tools (ah wouldn't it be fun, to do).

That is exactly the position I am in. Before I had the time to get serious about this woodworking I collected and bought many tools to do this job or that. They were those brands that were affordable at the time. Replacing them all would bankrupt my plan to do other things than just work in my wood shop. I will replace those tools that wear out with Festools when I can. The latest Guild Build has put many of my tools and all of my talents to the test. It really made my need for a better dust collector for the small tools apparent. The email notice of the new model dust extractors caught my eye. I figure I can start with that and build on my collection from there.

I actually had the luxury while on vacation last December to visit the Festool plant in Wendlingen, Germany. I was extremely impressed with their quality control and production. I just purchased my CT33 with the 1010 router and LR32 shelf pin drilling system. I actually received the guide rail today. I hope to try it out this weekend. When I learned of the new CT36 I called Festool. Ferstool informed me that I could return the unit under the 30 day satisfaction guaranty. At which point I will purchase a CT36. Any Ct Extractor will outperform the shop-vacs I currently own, even with non Festool tools. And Festool does it a lot quieter.

I actually had the luxury while on vacation last December to visit the Festool plant in Wendlingen, Germany. I was extremely impressed with their quality control and production.

Alfred,

Being a bit of a Festool junkie, I'm jealous! Being that quality assurance is my day job, I'd love to hear more about their quality and production processes.

Joe