dust and chips in the house

duckkisser

i was planing on seting up my lathe at home and i was wondering if i put the machine in the same room as my furnice will i have some huge problems with dust along side the furnice? i dont realy worry about moisture or lack of moisture because its a large room and for the most part the dampness is not a factor. is this just a crazy idea or is it a functional idea.

Is your furnace forced air or hydronic?

I have a hydronic system, very common here in New England, as well as a my cyclone next to my furnace. My furnace guy showed me how and where to blast with compressed air on and around my burner, every 2-3 months, to keep it clean, and we don't have any problems at all between yearly professional cleanings. I'm not particularily neat and clean, either.

I do shut the furnace off when spraying my water based finishes. Not for fire reasons, but simply to prevent airborne spray mist from gumming anything up.

If you've got forced air, someone with a similar system is better qualified to comment than I am.