Looking for two items...

sbarton22

I'm looking for a couple of things to enhance my turning.

A) a supplier for tool steel....I assume I need A2? I would like to grind a few custom shapes.

B) I saw this in a book, and looked awesome. It is an articulating "easel" that you screw your chuck on for post turning embellishments. You could spin it and twist it in every which angle so you can carve or paint on the a bowl, and you don't have to remove it from the chuck you turned it on.

For the second item, I saw someone use what looked like a donut shaped bean bag thing. One of those could work as well.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

s|B

Scott,

What you are seeking is a carvers vise, set up to hold a chuck. I believe Best Wood Tools offers one.

http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/arcaandfipo.html

When I make shop made tools, I use O1 tool steel. You will need to harden and temper this material though. Most who do this use Oil hardening O1 Tool Steel.

Dont know about the donut shaped thing. But you could pick up a crib pillow case, and fill it with uncooked rice and have the wife stitch it shut. It would serve the same purpose.

Hope this helps.

Roger

the donut thing that your talking about is perfect for carving i saw one in a carving book its basicly to absorb your blows from chisles and knives. Roger has the right idea just get a donut shaped pillow......and fill with rice, packing beans, bean bag pellets, plastic pellets ect.... anything to absorb the blows......wonder if a hemroid pillow will work :)

• Like 1

Scott,

As far as A2 is concerned, I cannot remember if it is end user friendly. Somewhere in the dark reaches of my feeble brain, there seems to be a bit that says that this steel needs a special heat treat session. You really need to do your homework on this one. O1 is very easy to work with. A2 is generally as hard as woodpecker lips.

Roger

Check Ron Hock's website for metallurgy questions. I'd also check with McMaster-Carr, as they carry bar stock. (What type, I'm too tired to remember.)

If you get a chance, look at David Springet's _Woodturning Full Circle_ and _Woodturning Wizardry_. One of the two, and I forget which one, shows the process he used to make his own turning tools. I believe he also mentions the suppliers in the back of the book.