I'm building a bench

gardnesd

1) LVLs cup badly when sun hits them on one side, check your stock when you buy it. If they've been stored outside you don't want them.

2) They're heavy. REALLY heavy. It's cheaper to buy one wide one than two narrow ones up to 16"-18" width, whichever the yard stocks. A 16" weighs in at 8 lb/ft, you'll want to cut them to length as early in the process as you can.

3) They can sprout some really nasty splinters on the edges. Not the kind you need tweezers for, more the ER or Urgent Care kind. DON'T let them slide through your hands or drag them across your leg(and don't ask how I know this).

It looks like a nice bench. You'll have a lot of ripping to do if you make one like Megan's and there's a LOT of glue in them, you'll need a sharp blade and probably a sharpening afterward. I'd use conventional hardwood for the legs and stretchers and save the LVLs(and all the work) just for the top.

My current bench has a top made of two 1-1/4x14 rim boards covered with 1/2 ply, it's pretty stout and heavy as lead(well, almost). Been pounding on it for fifteen years or so and it's held up well. If I didn't have it I'd be tempted to rip up a bunch of LVLs as well, but it works and it's all I can handle to drag it around.

Post some pics during the build, I think it'll be interesting.

Best of luck,

Bill

I like the looks of LVL. Even though it's pine is does not ding a much as you'd think because of the glue every 1/8 in. Money was not the main issue. But Materials may cost $175 for the project. My plan is to make the bench so I can remove the top. So if I don't like the LVL it will make for a good weenie roast.

Great advise about LVL's. I learned something new.

So, why do you want to use LVL's? Price? I don't think they's make a very good bench surface either on face or edge. Will you use them only for the frame?

Let us know how it turns out. You may be onto something. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got done building the base of my workbench using LVL's. They planed nicely on my Dewalt 735 but cutting the mortises for the legs was not fun. Like builderbill said splinters hurt, watch for them. The base is heavy but very strong and I added a shelf made from some left over barn board. I have a SYP budget for the top, hoping to change that to Ash if I hit the lottery.

post-451-059548200 1286068149_thumb.jpg

post-451-024493200 1286068163_thumb.jpg

post-451-070347900 1286068176_thumb.jpg