Super excited about this haul..

Boatworks Today

So last Fall my Dad decided to take down a massive red oak next to his house (this thing was big when I was a kid; 40 year ago). It was a double trunk with the main base measuring a little over 4' across and split into 2 main trunks each measuring 16" - 20". I cut them to 9' lengths and stored the 5 sections off the ground for the past year (now was the earliest I could get around to having them milled up). Well, today was finally that day!

Luckily, I was able to find an experienced sawyer that after talking with him and a couple of his clients I felt good about having him slice these bad boys up. Had the 3 best sections quartersawn 8/4 and the remaining 2 sections just flat sawn 5/4 as they were the tops of the trunks and had some branches (knots); the rest were completely clear..

I knew the quartersawn pieces were going to be good, but was honestly surprised by the amount of fleck in almost 90% of these pieces :P

Unfortunately all I have is my crappy Android for taking these pics, but honestly I don't think it really matters.. I over loaded my truck, brought them back to the shop and just finished sticking them for drying.

They'll be stored over the Winter on a heated slab and the pile rotated top to bottom every 4 weeks for even drying. I've done this in the past with Birch but never red oak and has worked very well. Just before I rotate the piles I've always covered them with plastic for a few days to let the moisture acclimate; then rotate and dry uncovered for the next 3 weeks. I keep doing this process until I get a consistent moisture reading of 15 - 20% then leave them be with a fan circulating air until MC% is closer to 12..

Does this sound like a good plan or have I always just gotten lucky?

Time to check out of work, have a few and watch Monday night football!!

Here's a link to my FB page for the pics.. http://www.facebook....54717776&type=1

Thanks!

~Andy

Wow! I have never been a big fan of red oak but that quarter sawn is amazing! Got some furniture in mind for it?

It's slated for a long overdue dinner table and chairs, a center island in the kitchen and new trim (for the lesser quality pieces) around the house. Can't wait!! Next Winter is going to be a lot of fun :D The waiting part is going to kill me though! I could of had this kiln dried and it would be ready much sooner but I actually prefer to work with air dried lumber; seems to be much more stable <_<