$200 to get into hand planes..... ideas?

tonydem

Having learned my lesson the hard way. I would highly recommend staying away from the "el cheapo" brands. My original purchase was a #4, #5, & #6 Groz planes. I have been able to get them somewhat useable after several hours of work, but definitely not worth the trouble. I would recommend either pacing yourself and buying one high quality plane at a time, or start by buying older Stanley planes from Ebay. The older planes may require some work to tune them back up, but the amount of work required won't be near as bad as a cheap plane. I would suggest getting Chris Shwartz's new DVD on super tuning hand planes before buying anything outside of a new Veritas or Lee Valley plane.

I started adding hand planes to my shop about 3 years ago in an effort to supplement my power tools. I would suggest starting with a good quality router plane (I have the Veritas) and follow up with a good block plane. Again I will stress that I am NOT a very experienced hand tool user. Like I said, my recommendations are from the view of a primary power tool user. Good luck to you!

Jim daddy is on the right path! I am also somewhat of a new hand tool woodworker but have done extensive research. I also have a few friends that work in the hand tool realm and have guided me through the beginning process. One being Shannon Rogers from the site http://www.handtoolschool.net and the other being Scott Meek from the site http://www.scottmeekwoodworks.com. I’ve also found an amazing read that I’m about a quarter through “The Anarchist Tool Chest” highly recommended for those exploring hand tools. I also speak from the recent experiences of restoring two 30+ year old wooden planes and as Jim Daddy said you will learn way more doing it this way. You can pick up a plane for 5 bucks at a flea market and they are generally in no worse shape then a complete new one that will probably also need to be adjusted. The Anarchist Tool Chest will warn you of the dangers of getting into buying the newest “highest quality” shiny “next best tool” habit that will lead to nothing but a world of regret and many unused tools.

Actually, I'd say you got the "right" answer.

In a nutshell, you can't get very many LN or Veritas Blockplanes for $200 (quick check, the cheapest block plane from LN is $90, adjustable mouth is $165, Veritas is pretty much identical).

BUT, we know that both LN and Veritas model off of the Bailey/Bedrock Stanley planes. And we know that pre-war models can be tune up to work nearly as well as the LN/Veritas - especially if you add a Hock/LN/Veritas blade.

Therefore, with your $200 price point Jim DaddyO has given you the right answer. Get yourself several older pre-war stanley planes at $25-$50 each, put time into fettling and sharpening them, save up to get a new blade for the #4 1/2 smoother and maybe for the block plane. Basically trade time for money and you will get very very close to the LN/Veritas planes.

hiswillus gave you great links, JimDaddyO gave you some specifics - you've been given the answers, just not all in one post!

Lee Valley has Veritas low angle block plane manufacturer's seconds on sale right now for Cyber Monday.

I'm a heavy power tool user, yet even I couldn't live without a block plane. I have a Veritas block plane and love it.

I think you've already found your answer, however. That is there is no right answer. I don't spend my time refurbishing planes so I tend to buy new Veritas or Lie Nielson planes. I know they will perform well and I have a minimum amount of time to tinker with them. A good friend of mine will save a ton of money buying old Stanley's and reworking them. I respect the heck of his work, but don't have that kind of time. I am always behind on projects as it is. So if you were me I'd suggest buying a LN or LV plane now and then save up and get another and then another, until you fill your collection.

For me, my most used plane go in this order:

1 - Block plane

2 - Smoother

3 - Jointer Plane (Although I could make a case for this being numbe 2 or even number 1)

4 - Shoulder Plane

5 - Jack Plane

6 - Router Plane

7 - My "other" block plane

After that it gets down to the point where I really need to split hairs.

But again, that's me. Everyone is different and every woodworker works differently. I'm not sure there's a right answer.

Other than my more specialized planes (LV router, LV skew rabbet and a LV edge trimming plane) and my main low angle block plane, all of my planes that I use frequently are old Stanleys that I got from eBay and reconditioned. I think I paid $7 for my #4 (well I did replace the iron and breaker so I paid a bit more than that but for the base :)). They tend to take a bit of work, but it's also a good learning experience and if you're not adverse to the (mind numbing) tedium that is flattening a plane sole they can be tuned up very nicely. For best bang for your buck, I don't think that can be beat, and with a good replacement iron (Hock etc.) I'd say just about any of them can be forever planes. For fresh off the factory room floor though, there is a lot to be said for the LV and LN products, but for $200 you're probably looking at one item.

Not too shabby for $7

post-2477-0-55843400-1353959286_thumb.jp

of course it came like this

post-2477-0-50602700-1353959281_thumb.jp