Hi-dee-hoe from Provo, Utah

sawdustislife

Hey all,

I'm just a fuzzball of excitement and energy! Not really. I'm an eternal student. I think I'm on about my 9th or 10th year of college in pursuit of a BS. I was originally an Aviation Science major (just have one FAA test left to finish that one) and currently I'm an Information Systems major. It isn't what I want to do the rest of my life, but I'm hoping it gives me a good fall back plan if I ever give full time furniture building a go and discover no one likes my work. I served in the Marine Corps reserves for about 9 years and went on a world tour in 2003 on Uncle Sam's nickel. Got to see a lot of Asian countries as well as a quick spin through Kuwait and Iraq. Lovely people, not so lovely place.

I got into woodworking after I got out of the Marines in early 2004 trying to build a digital picture frame out of an old laptop. It's been a non-stop slide into full addiction since. My shop is a 1+ car detached garage that currently measures about 275 square feet. Not huge, but it works for now. I'm something of a hybrid woodworker - lots of power tools but a fair assortment of hand tools that see use on pretty much every project.

I mostly build tables but I'm also trying to venture into the world of chair building. What's a table without something to sit on? I don't spend nearly as much time in the shop as I'd like. I'm still going to school full-time and I work full-time with a small financial software development company managing the training of software coaches and creating tutorials and updating knowledge bases.

I'm an all-around geek. I dable in web development with WordPress, Joomla and good-old HTML. I'm trying to pick up programming with the hopes of someday coming up with a genius idea for a mobile app and then having the chops to make it happen. I love cooking and gardening and I really like the occasional moment of synergistic bliss when all three hobbies come together at once (yes, it does happen). I've been following this phenomenon we call 'The Wood Whisperer' and his community for 3 or 4 years now and look forward to many more years to come.