Green Bowl Drying?

Chris H

On 3/12/2013 at 3:42 PM, Chris H said:

I have found a process that is kind of a mish-mash of different things that seems to be working pretty consistently.

1) All wood that is obtained green is coated in Anchorseal II, until I am ready to deal with it.

2) Blanks are then rough turned to approx 1"-1.5" thickness throughout. (Not counting the foot, for jaws to clamp to, that's an additional ~3/8 of material)

3) The rough'd blank is then soaked in a bowl of denatured alcohol overnight, at least 8 hours.

a)  I will try to add follow up posts with some pictures, when I remember to take a picture throughout the process.

4) Place the pre-soaked blank into a brown bag with wood shavings for 1-2 weeks.  It takes two weeks in my basement in WI, but I would guess that will change based on your climate.  My basement averages 60-65F and 28-33 RH.

5) Move into the kiln, for 1 week, run at ~85 F.  RH Typically peaks at around 75-80 and then drops to 8-12 when all is dry.

Total dry time from roughing is ~3 weeks +/- a few days

I will try to follow up with more information on both the DA soaking and my Kiln in case anyone is interested.

Hey @Chris H,  any follow up on your drying process?

21 hours ago, AndrewPritchard said:

My workshop is in Nova Scotia, so from late fall through to late spring I have sub zero temperatures in my shop. Will the freezing water inside the wood be an issue if I'm trying to dry bowls in winter?

Logically, that makes some sense.  I would cross post this in the "woods" sub forum, as I believe a lot the guys who would really know don't frequent the turning section, and especially an older thread they've already seen once. 

• Like 1