adapting lathe for grinding/sharpening

duckkisser

is there any reason why i cant mount a paper/leather/felt wheel to my lathe on the outboard side of the lathe and use it to touch up my lathe tools?

seems like i saw somewhere where some guy put a paper wheel on his outboard side of his motor and then use the paper wheel to manualy turn instead of the wheel that comes with it. he then just attached sandpaper to the face of the wheel and sharpened his tools right on the lathe without going anywhere. fliped thorugh my magazine and books but i cant figure out where i saw that at.

does anyone remember seeing that? and if so can you give me a link or magizine number?

Duck, I seem to recall someone in a recent thread, mentioned using the lathe for a buffer. I believe it was in the thread where the guy was trying to decide whether to sell his lathe or not. He had just won a bunch of machines in some contest or something. "Which tools should I keep" I think that was it. Whoever posted that suggestion may be able to tell you how to do it.

that guy is genious :) but he wasent able to help me.

ok not shure if you are serous of not but if you are tha twas me :) if you are serious well then you are a giant dork hahahahaha if you are not serious then i had a good laugh over it. hell eather way i laughed good and long

LOLOLOL. You gave the same advice in another post as well. LOLOL. It would seem to me, Duck that if you can convert a lathe to buff, you can use the same principle to install a stone. The variable speed of the lathe would really work to your advantage when using slower speed to sharpen your tools.

hey thanks i have seen similar plans for that seems like a good idea if you dont have a cobination sander.

but what im thinking of is on the outboard side so you can go from turning to touching up your tools and go right back to working. with this set up i would have to take my project off the lathe hook this up take this apart reinstall project. just not worth the time thanks though.

I use a morse taper buffing mandrel set up for my small lathe that takes only a couple mins to set up, i could adapt it for a paper wheel and what not but i just use it for buffing purposes now. That i could have rigged up with some stuff lying around the shop but i just bought one that was only $20 or something, and works relatively well.