Router Bits and Forstner Bit Recommendations

JimReed

I am belatedly getting started on my Roubo build after spending the last year moving and my new shop up and operational. I have most of the necessary tools but most of my router bits and Forstner bits are junk so I was going to use this project as a good excuse to invest in some new, high-quality bits.

I want to buy what is necessary for this project but also most versatile for future projects so I am looking for some sound buying advice from folks who have already traveled this road.

Should I be looking to buy bit "sets" with the most commonly used bits and then just supplement these sets or should I just buy the individual bits that are required for each project?

I have heard rave reviews about Whiteside router bits and Colt MaxiCut Forstner bits. I can buy "sets" for each (http://goo.gl/cdeaV and http://goo.gl/M5Hxf ) but unfortunately even these big, expensive sets don't have all the bits required for even the Roubo project per the Roubo tool list post ().

Also, for the big pattern cutting bit for the dog hole jig, am I correct that I want a downcutting spiral bit?

So what's the best game plan? Thanks for any advice or recommendations.

Jim

I went with individual colt bits and they worked great. If you want a set I would get a set and then augment with the remaining sizes. You might want to look at getting cheaper bits for the odd sizes that are close to the other sizes that would be included in sets. If I recall correctly on a couple of the bits there were only a few holes to drill and with that little drilling a cheaper bit would be fine I think eg the countersink holes for the washers for the vices that are only 3/16 or so deep

It depends on how much you think you'll use each.

Personally, I find a ton of uses for my forstner bits, so getting a set of them was worthwhile for me. However, I don't think you'll likely find a set with more than 2 of the bits in that list.

For router bits, I think that adding them piecemeal as needs arise is the better strategy, especially given that the bits needed here don't usually come in most kits sold.

[Anecdote]When I was just starting out woodworking, I bought a set of 8 (or maybe 10) "common" router bits and have only ever really used the 2 straight bits that were in there.[/Anecdote]

If you live near a Woodcraft, they are clearing out their MaxiCut bits. They are also listed "on sale" on the Woodcraft website, but do not have all the sizes required for the build. Otherwise, I found Infinity Tools to be one of the most affordable places to purchase them piecemeal. I also had to get the extender for the endcap. Speaking of which, I had a heck of a time getting the Maxicut bit off the extender after use... anyone else run into that problem?