Scraping plane

mattvan

I'm planning on attending the Scraping Plane class at WIA in a couple weeks and used it as an excuse to buy a Veritas Scraping Plane (like I needed one...an excuse). Tonight was the first chance I had to break it out and take it for a test run.

I couldn't believe the results! I've used card scrapers to follow up after my smoothers but the control and final results I had after using my new favorite plane just blew me away.

It not only did a great job on solid stock but I tried it on some scrap walnut plywood (very thin skinned plywood) and it blew me away there too.

Just curious how many others have tried this tool and your results? It doesn't have to be the Veritas version, any scraper plane.

Matt. I bought scraper cards for financial reasons. Thinking about long term and having the ultimate and repeatable cut, I think that my preference will be for a scraper plane to keep the perfect angle and have accuracy.

Probably this is one of those things like pins or tails first. Congratulations on your new investment.

Not yet, Matt, but it's on the way. Made a big laundry list of LV purchases the other day. Finally gonna get a nice block plane, the #49 and #50 cabinet rasps, a medium shoulder plane and a myriad of other things on the way. Merry Christmas to me...again!! :D But, I've had really good success with the thinner scrapers for smoothing things. If I can totally get away from sanding, I'll be an extremely happy camper. I HATE sanding!! Dusty enterprise.

I too have a Veritas scraper plane- You may want to know that the scraper blade for the lie-nielsen fits the vertias plane perfectly too - I upgraded mine, and don't sharpen nearly as much as I used too -- I don't get to bow the blade, because the LN blade is so thick, but that;s a trade off I'm fine with....

I love the fact a good scraper will help to keep my sander unplugged and collecting dust for a different reason.

I've used card scrapers for so long and except for the sore hands (you'd think I'd be stronger after awhile) they work amazing. I might almost look forward to the finishing process now.

Thanks for the heads up about the LN blades fitting in the plane. I read the David Charlesworth article in Pop W W and he mentioned using a different blade for the new models also. I just may have to grab one to create a hybrid plane like your own. It's as if Thomas and Robin secretly joined forces in the name of better woodworking.

A scraper plane is currently #2 on my list of items to buy. I had planned to attend the session at WWIA as well, since I have heard scraper planes can be a bit finicky to set up. But Matt seems to have gotten his working without much trouble, so maybe I'll just hope that LV is offering a 10% discount at the show that I can take advantage of. Hey, why is my drum sander giving me the evil eye?

I definitely second the finicky part. Likely it's me, but sometimes when I use mine, it just works and works great! Other times it seems like I'm forever fumbling with the height and flex and eventually put it aside for a hand scraper figuring it is one of those days. Mine's the Veritas model so I'll also second it's good to know the LN blade will work for future reference.

Maybe I had just really good luck last night but it wasn't too finicky to set. I set it on the surface of the material, loosened the nut to hold it in place and let it rest flat on the stock then retightened

I found the more foward angle I tilted it, the more aggresive the "cut" so I tried to keep it between 1-5 degrees? The hard part for me was trying to convince myself it was working even though there wasn't these shavings coming up like a traditional plane. I actually caught myself on more than one occasion trying to adjust the angle adjuster as if it were the depth adjustment to get thicker shavings :-)

I had to make one I saw in a FWW book. I started with a card scraper blade which worked, but then made a thicker one out of an old HSS circular saw blade which is the "Binford" model.

It was put into immediate use prior to final sanding/finishing, Maybe some day...

Viall8r

post-621-008423800 1285033217_thumb.jpg