Outdoor Sign

Jherndo

So, our HOA (I was elected by virtue of accidentally showing up to an annual meeting) has finally decided to replace the wooden sign in the front of our neighborhood, since it's falling apart. It's actually just two pieces held on either end by large square brick structures in which the signs slide into.

I am considering offering to just redo the signs in the same style but I need opinions on what kind of wood to use so I can give an estimate on price. The current signs (again, 2 separate pieces of wood so multiply x2) are 144" x 8" and 4" thick (thickness was exact, so I imagine I'd have to use 18/4). They used outdoor paint on it, so it doesn't need a real ascetically pleasing grain pattern or anything, plus I don't think I can talk them into buying ~72bf of teak anyway.

Ideas or opinions?

Edit: I now realize this would be better placed into the Design and Planning section, please feel free to move it.

Finding and buying 18/4 would be a chore and expensive. Even the 16/4 poplar I bought recently was greatly more expensive than the 4/4 stuff. Buy 4/4 material and laminate a stack together. By the time you plane each 4/4 board before glue-up, your 5 boards would be closer to 4" anyway and only need a couple passes through the planer to make 4" exactly.

Since it's paint-grade, about any wood would work. You might be able to do it with 2x8 or 2x10 building lumber. That's probably the first thing I'd look at for pricing.

Poplar might be a good choice. Its a little soft but that shouldn't matter. Or even clear pine.

Can you make the ends 4" wide and make the body of the sign thinner? If so, you could use plywood with the top and bottom edges trimmed.

Sign makers use a special material for 1/2" to 3/4" thick signs. I'm not sure what it is but its light weight and can be painted. It might be LDF.

Just some thoughts.

• 3 weeks later...

If there is any way to get logs cut to size for the needed pieces, ie. woodmizer, sawmill, ect, I would go that way. Then add lettering and logo cut from 2 X 12. Or find a company that does sandblasting to engrave the lettering and logo. A really good guide book for this kind of work is, "MAKING WOOD SIGNS", by Patrick Spielman, ISBN 0-8069-8984-X. He shows many signs, some in color, in a lot of different styles. He also explaines techniques used to make the signs. The book cost $6.95 in 1982, so I expect it will be a little higher now. I'd check out Amazon for a used copy too. If you can't find a copy, I will lend you mine.