barn oak

chipmaster

I've read where some guys hate oak, others love it. All I know is that it's hard wood and I really don't know the difference between red and white. I have the opportunity to retrieve some oak planks out of a barn that was built in the 40's. Some is 6/4 and 16 wide, up to 15 ft long. My question is, how do I tell if it's red or white and how hard will it be on my thicknesser and other blades being that old and VERY dry. Thanks for your help.

I have used a bunch of oak from an old barn for my dining room table, and a few other things.  One thing I did was to take a hand held beltsander to it to get most of the dirt and stuff off the wood before I jointed and planed it.  Definitely saved some time sharpening, and planer blades.  Once that first layer of crap was gone it behaved like any other oak.

There's a fairly significant difference in appearance between red and white...good quartersawn white oak has heavy, long ray flecks that add a ton of visual interest.  Red oak has them, too, but they're not as prolific, the flecks are much shorter, and you don't really see quartersawn red oak all that often anyway.  White oak is rot-resistant, far more dense than red oak, and has a less opened-pored grain structure.

If you still can't figure out what you're looking at, you can find out conclusively by looking at freshly cut end grain.  Google it and I'm sure you'll find examples.

I think what most guys who hate oak hate is the flatsawn red oak that has that standard cathedral grain pattern and that hideous country look.  I never ever use red oak because it does nothing for me aesthetically, but I love white oak...as long as it's quartersawn.

• 4 weeks later...